Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You can you up

Teachers, Is this sentence correct? In my opinion, I think it is wrong, for you up doesn't make sense.

Mike12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Mr Piscean, The sentence is very popular in China. It means if you can do that thing, you do.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It makes no sense in international English.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It hasn't any inroads that I know of outside China.

Mike12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Mr Piscean,I did not translate. There are many interesting English words in China. For example, " day day up, good good study", “people mountain people sea”,"Let me give some color see see", " long time no see"......

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
None of those are English.
"Long time no see" is occasionally used in English. It means "I haven't seen you for a long time". But it came into English via Chinglish.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Long time no see" is occasionally used in English. It means "I haven't seen you for a long time". But it came into English via Chinglish.

Well, Asian countries have many many funny examples where they brutally translate their language to English.

But the problems go the other way too. In a marketing course that I took we were cautioned about using English words when advertising in a foreign country.

On example of this came via a rather well known maker of women's hair products Miss Clairol. It was back in 1985 when I took this course. Clairol called their hair spray product "hair mist" and they decided to market this product in Germany. Sales were terrible and not what they expected for this rather good product. Then they were informed that "mist" was also a German word and it translated to "excrement" (to use a polite term). Who in their right mind would spray that on their head?:)

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
The origins of "long time no see" are uncertain, but they are often ascribed to Chinese or American Indian speakers of pidgin English.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, Asian countries have many many funny examples where they brutally translate their language to English.

But the problems go the other way too. In a marketing course that I took we were cautioned about using English words when advertising in a foreign country.

On example of this came via a rather well known maker of women's hair products Miss Clairol. It was back in 1985 when I took this course. Clairol called their hair spray product "hair mist" and they decided to market this product in Germany. Sales were terrible and not what they expected for this rather good product. Then they were informed that "mist" was also a German word and it translated to "excrement" (to use a polite term). Who in their right mind would spray that on their head?:)

Transnational companies these days no doubt have their own international department that takes care of all the translation issues.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can you up

Teachers, Is this sentence correct? In my opinion, I think it is wrong, for you up doesn't make sense.

I thought I saw "I can you up" but after reading all the comments on here it is clear the phrase is Chinglish.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mr Piscean,I did not translate. There are many interesting English words in China. For example, " day day up, good good study", “people mountain people sea”,"Let me give some color see see", " long time no see"......

Except for "long time no see", I have no idea what these phrases mean. Do you happen to use "monkey see monkey do"?

Mike12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Mr Lynxear, your English is too difficult for me to understand!

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think you should attach Mr. to anyone on here unless you are certain of their gender.

Mike12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have no idea what "monkey see monkey do" mean.

Mike12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I just want to be polite!

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know. But you also know that Mr. only applies to men, right? With women, you can use Ms. There are women on this forum and your politeness will quickly become misguided if you misidentify their gender.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have no idea what "monkey see monkey do" mean.

Looking at the examples you gave I just thought maybe people in China used that phrase as well because of similar syntax.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have no idea what "monkey see, monkey do" means.

It means that people, often children, imitate the behaviour they see, so they will copy bad examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.