[Grammar] You could be hurt if you stumble [stumbled].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

A BrE speakers wrote 1) "You could be hurt if you stumbled" and then an AmE speaker wrote 2) "You could be hurt if you stumble".

My grammar is not good but here are my thoughts. "stumbled" in the first sentence is past tense, and in 2) is present tense. But in sentence one "could be" is past tense and in 2) "could be" is conditional. So I think both sentences are correct. Please enlighten.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wouldn't worry too much about the structure in that sentence too much. However, I would use "get hurt" in it.

I appreciate your help, teechar. Do you mean that both sentences are correct but better with "get hurt"?

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Speakers of colloquial English don't analyse their sentences, they just say what feels natural. I don't have a problem with either sentence although I would be more likely to use the second.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Speakers of colloquial English don't analyse their sentences, they just say what feels natural. I don't have a problem with either sentence although I would be more likely to use the second.

I'm also a BrE speaker, and I'm more likely to use "stumbled" with a conditional. It's personal preference though.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
On the surface, this looks like a difference in kind of conditionality. The BrE speaker is imagining an unreal condition and the AmE speaker a real one. Thus the tense difference of the verb stumble.

More context would make that much clearer, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.