[Grammar] You have chosen all the furniture to match the style of the house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I made an exercise for my students in which they were to use either the present perfect or the past simple. (I also used some vocabulary under study in the sentences.)
You have chosen all the furniture to match the style of the house! It looks so nice.

One of my students chose the past simple (You chose .....). Now I have some doubts. Can we really say that the student made a grammar mistake?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Either tense could work there, depending on how the speaker is thinking about the situation. Past simple: the action is entirely in the past. Present perfect: the action began in the past but may still be going on.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I wouldn't want to be pushed to say that the student made a grammar mistake, but if he/she was the only one in the class who chose that answer, you'd have to wonder why. It's pretty hard to imagine how someone would think the past simple is more appropriate, given what you've taught them about selecting between the two.

But if several of the students got the wrong answer, you'd have to suspect either that your example sentence is not good enough or that that you didn't teach them well enough.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Without further context, I'd say both are OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.