Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi teachers.

A friend online asked me if I had some time to chat with her in English. At that time I was having lunch and later I would teach my students online. I didn't want to offend her so I said "You might send me messages and I'll reply to you as soon as possible". I wanted to tell her that "Now I don't have time but you can send me messages and when I'm free I'll reply to you soon".

I wonder if my italic sentence is natural.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd say "You can send me messages and I'll reply as soon as I'm free."

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd say "You can send me messages and I'll reply as soon as I'm free."

Hi teachers. I still have two questions about this sentence. I wonder which one is better "You can send me a message" or "You can send me messages". I think I'd say "messages" because "a message" sounds like my friend is going to send me one message but obviously I hope my friend can send me messages as she wants. Also, will it be better to say "You can leave me messages......"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This would also work:

You could send me a message. I'll reply when I have time.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wonder which one is better "You can send me a message" or "You can send me messages". I think I'd say "messages" because "a message" sounds like my friend is going to send me one message but obviously I hope my friend can send me messages as she wants. Also, [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would it be better to say "You can leave me messages......"
As you noted (and I emphasized above), the indefinite article clearly asks your friend to send you a single message. That's not what you want.

You'd say "You can leave me messages" if you wanted your friend to leave you voice mail, not texts.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As you noted (and I emphasized above), the indefinite article clearly asks your friend to send you a single message. That's not what you want.

You'd say "You can leave me messages" if you wanted your friend to leave you voice mail, not texts.

I see. It's very helpful. So, if I say "You can send me messages" this means "You can send a couple of text messages", right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]It's[/STRIKE] That's very helpful. So, if I say "You can send me messages" this means "You can send a couple of text messages", right?
Not exactly. "A couple of" means "about two". "Messages" could mean a couple of messages; it could mean a billion messages. All it says is more than one message.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I want my friend to send me more than one message, I'd use Rover's version. If I want her to send me just one, I'd use Ems' version. And if I want her to leave me voice message, I'd say "You can leave me a message/leave me messages".

Am I right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I want my friend to send me more than one message, I'd use Rover's version. If I want her to send me just one, I'd use Ems' version. And if I want her to leave me voice message, I'd say "You can leave me a message/leave me messages".

Am I right?
Yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd probably say "You can/could send me a message" even if I expected more than one message to come through. If I definitely expected more than one, I might say "You could message/text/email me".

I wouldn't use "You could send me messages".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say message, singular: Send me a message. I'll answer it later.

PS - I can't open my Notifications tab, so I'm answering here: I'm well. I don't need a face mask. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.