You phone's volume is down so I can't hear you properly. Could you please increase th

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) You phone's volume is down so I can't hear you properly. Could you please increase the volume?

2) Your phone's volume was down so I couldn't hear you. Thanks for increasing it.

Are these correct?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, but they are not natural.

I would say:
I can't hear you properly. Can you please raise the volume of your phone?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Using "raise" there would be unnatural in BrE.

Can you turn the volume up on your phone/microphone please?"

Turning the volume up on their phone will simply make your voice sound louder to them. It won't change the volume at which their voice is broadcast to you. It's the volume level of their microphone that needs to be changed.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can you turn your mike up?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"You phone's volume is down". Is [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] that a correct sentence?

No. You left a letter off of the first word. Fix that and the sentence will be grammatical. It's hard to imagine a situation where anyone would say it, though; a person will usually notice if they can't hear their phone. As noted above, the volume control affects the speaker, not the microphone.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"You phone's volume is down". Is it a correct sentence?

I'd use mine- the problem is the mike level. That is what needs fixing, I have to switch the output on my computer depending on whether I am listening on speakers or headphones- I change the output when I change the source. Just accept that the issue with a phone is about boosting output.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No. You left a letter off of the first word. Fix that and the sentence will be grammatical. It's hard to imagine a situation where anyone would say it, though; a person will usually notice if they can't hear their phone. As noted above, the volume control affects the speaker, not the microphone.

Your phone's volume is down.

What would you say?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'd use mine- the problem is the mike level. That is what needs fixing, I have to switch the output on my computer depending on whether I am listening on speakers or headphones- I change the output when I change the source. Just accept that the issue with a phone is about boosting output.

I couldn't hear you because your mic's volume was down. Is it correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I couldn't hear you because your mic's volume was down. Is it correct?
How do you mark quoted text? Please post a corrected version of this to show that you know the answer.

Your sentence is grammatically possible. I'd be more likely to say the volume was too low if it were possible to adjust that volume. I don't think most phones provide a way to do that.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
How do you mark quoted text? Please post a corrected version of this to show that you know the answer.

Your sentence is grammatically possible. I'd be more likely to say the volume was too low if it were possible to adjust that volume. I don't think most phones provide a way to do that.

"I couldn't hear you because your mic's volume was down". Is it correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I couldn't hear you because your mic's volume was down". Is [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] that/this correct?
The quotation marks are.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your phone's volume is down.

What would you say?
"I can't hear you! Can you turn up your phone?"

Even though I actually want you to turn the volume knob, I usually ask people to turn up the phone (or TV or radio or stereo), not the volume.

That's more natural for me. Other people have other ways of saying it.

In any case, using increase or decrease is not natural when talking about changing sound levels. We usually say turn up and turn down.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it incorrect?

What did I say in post #6?

Does your phone have a volume control that affects its microphone volume? I don't think I've ever seen one that has such a control. You can't turn the mic's volume up or down.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I always say I am having trouble hearing them, and would they please speak up. (If the problem is their phone I would have no way of knowing that.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What did I say in post #6?

Does your phone have a volume control that affects its microphone volume? I don't think I've ever seen one that has such a control. You can't turn the mic's volume up or down.
My landline doesn't. I was assuming smartphones do. Otherwise, the question wouldn't make sense.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I always say I am having trouble hearing them, and would they please speak up. (If the problem is their phone I would have no way of knowing that.)
I'm more likely to say I'm having trouble hearing them, and would they please speak more quietly. Many people shout into their phones. The resulting distortion can make them very hard to understand.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm more likely to say I'm having trouble hearing them, and would they please speak more quietly. Many people shout into their phones. The resulting distortion can make them very hard to understand.

I had never heard of that one before. (Talking too fast can also cause problems with listening comprehension.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had never heard of that one before. (Talking too fast can also cause problems with listening comprehension.)
My next-door neighbor when I was a boy was very deaf and wore one of the primitive hearing aids of the day. We kids would always raise our voices to try to help him hear us, despite his repeated entreaties not to shout. He was suffering the same distortion problem I have when my sister shouts into her phone.

People do this with cell phones ("mobiles" in British English) because, unlike landline phones, they don't provide feedback. Not hearing your own voice from the speaker makes you feel like you have to speak louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.