Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
[FONT=&quot]City breakin' down on a camels back,
they'll just have to go coz they don't know wack.
So all ya fill the streets it's appealing to see
and you won't get under-counted cause you're damn ass free.

These lines are from Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz. (The lyrics is here.)

The underlined part reads ironic to me. As if 'you' are counted in the way a farmer counts his chickens, and 'you' have no chance to escape 'cause you're damn ass free'. But I'm guessing because I didn't find the word 'under-counted' in dictionaries. Is my guess correct?

[/FONT]

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
By under-counted, I think 2-D means undervalued or not listened to. When you fill the streets, your views will not be underrepresented, as they are now.

I think he's making a point about freeing ourselves from the social constraints of postmodern capitalist society, and the political systems that govern it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
By under-counted, I think 2-D means undervalued or not listened to. When you fill the streets, your views will not be underrepresented, as they are now.
When I first saw this word, my first thought was that 'undercounted' is a synonym of 'underrated', or 'undervalued' as you suggested. But then, having looked at the verse, I got unsure that this interpretation is correct. Where should 'they' go, 'filling the streets', if they 'don't know wack'? It's this unawareness of something that restrains me here.

I'd like to show you the way I interpret the verse. It may be wrong, of course, since I'm not at home in English and I can misunderstand the words, but I'll try because the details of the verse seem to fit together and not to contradict with the video. I think it's the counter-culture ideas that the lyrics should be interpreted through. At least, I find the ideas of the latter and the interpretations on the site Rover gave the link to similar. So here's my interpretation:

The society is rusty. It is described in the cartoon-video as a very high tower. The higher the level of the tower the more wealthy the people situated at this level, as I see it. Also, the tower is ridiculously narrow. I interpret it as narrow-mindedness apt to the tower's inhabitants. Narrow-mindedness causes (or, on the contrary, is caused by) unawareness of what's really going on, that is, that Money 'eats' its owners, destructs them by making too many harmfull things easily accessible, and makes the whole value system of the people upside-down. Money is the only God here. And the people, being under the spell, do their best to reach this god. They are slaves because they 'don't know wack', i.e. they don't know they are slaves. They 'fill the streets' every day going to work, serving the god of Money. They do their best working like a camel whose back is almost broken in the first line. And the money system, being interested in keeping people in the 'addicted' position (just like drug dealers are), counts its servants like a farmer counts his chickens I talked about in post 1.

Is this interpretation possible from the standpoint of the language? Is it possible to interpret 'under-counted' the way I did? And what do you think of the interpretation? Does it make sense?

I think he's making a point about freeing ourselves from the social constraints of postmodern capitalist society, and the political systems that govern it.

I agree here. Looking at the song from different angles, we seem to arrive at the same point. :)

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Where should 'they' go, 'filling the streets', if they 'don't know wack'? This unawareness of something is what restrains me here.

I meant that they are the politicians (who don't know wack) and all ya are the people. He asks the people to fill the streets in protest of what the politicians are doing.

Is this interpretation possible from the standpoint of the language? Is it possible to interpret 'under-counted' the way I did? And what do you think of the interpretation? Does it make sense?

Yes, it makes some sense to me. The important thing is that it makes sense to you, right? That's what art is all about. :)

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I meant that they are the politicians (who don't know wack) and all ya are the people. He asks the people to fill the streets in protest of what the politicians are doing.
Ah, now I see what you mean. Almost. :) May I ask you what makes you think that this verse is about the politicians? I've watched the video about ten times, I think, and there's nothing (to me) that could suggest it's about them. What we see in the video is something suggesting (or at least, resembling) debauchery, philandering and so on. Why politicians? Or... The only thing that comes to mind which could connect what is going on in the video to the politicians is the panem et circenses formula. This way 'they' distract the attention of the inhabitants of the 'Feel Good Inc.' tower from the real problems, right? Is this what you mean?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
There was a literary critic (Roland Barthes) who argued that writing and its creator are unrelated, and he suggested to analise literature through a reader's own associations rather than the writer's desire to convey some idea. The essay in which he proposed this was called 'The Death of the Author'. It dawned on me that what we are (or maybe only I am) doing is killing the song's author. And I'm even beginning to think that this particular author truly deserves such a fate. :-D

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To be honest, Gene, I don't really have much of a clear or interesting idea what this song is supposed to be about. Don't get me wrong—I do like it, and I like Damon and the Gorillaz too, but I don't get a huge deal out of the lyrics of this one, personally speaking.

The essay in which he proposed this was called 'The Death of the Author'. I'm even beginning to think that this particular author truly deserves such a fate.

:lol:

On a (semi-)serious note, I wonder what Barthes would have made of the very postmodern Gorillaz—who are basically a real band pretending to be a fictional band. As you seem to suggest, the narrative of Hewlett's video art and the narrative of Albarn's lyrics are meant to be inseparable. They must be interpreted only in relation to each other. So who dies here, Roland?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.