Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I watched a video last night on Douyin (Chinese version of Tiktok) and I then clicked into the account (of the uploader, the person who uploads videos) and tried to watch more of his videos.

I noticed that most of his videos are touching and warm (most of them are about protecting animals and loving old people). He first shoot those videos (or perhaps he got the videos from other sources) and then he himself painted a picture of that video.

For example, this one in the following screen shots. The owner was applying ointment on her dog's claws.

However, I also noticed that the uploader doesn't have many followers and his videos also haven't gotten enough views and hits. There are 1.6 billion people using YouDin and the uploader got a few thousand hits and views.

I wrote a sentence in the comment to express my good wish "You'll get pop one day because of your warm videos".

Is the italic sentence natural? I don't think native speakers would say this. Please help me.

Ointment1.png

Ointment2.png

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"You'll get pop one day because of your warm videos".
I have no idea what you mean by this. Could you try to express your meaning in different words?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have no idea what you mean by this. Could you try to express your meaning in different words?
Because all your videos and paintings/pictures are about protecting animals and respecting and showing love to old people and the world. I’m sure as the time goes on, you’ll get many followers who appreciate your efforts.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because all your videos and paintings/pictures are about protecting animals and respecting and showing love to old people and the world. I’m sure as the time goes on, you’ll get many followers who appreciate your efforts.
How does "You'll get pop" express that? Is it a direct translation from Chinese?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How does "You'll get pop" express that? Is it a direct translation from Chinese?
Sort of. I wanted to say you’ll get popular. However, that’s still not normal I suppose.

Please help me with a better one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can say "You'll become [very] popular" or even "You'll go viral"! "Pop" as a shortened form of "popular" is used only in specific set phrases, such as "pop music", "pop art" etc.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm guessing that you mean he shot the video and then he painted a picture based on the video.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think it's American slang for impact. Pop can be either a noun or a verb. We might say for example that a very good political campaign ad has pop. Or if we like the way someone has decorated a room we might say those colours really pop.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but it doesn't mean "popular" in those usages.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
@Tarheel are you seriously suggesting that a native speaker would use "get pop" for "become popular"? To me “get pop“ could only mean “obtain a fizzy drink”.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You'll be widely recognized one day for your heart-warming videos.