Your personal safety on the Web
We at UsingEnglish.com would like to say a couple of things about your personal safety whilst using the internet, email, chat etc. We do not want to scare you, but it is important that everyone here understands the security issues.
Firstly, we advise you not to use your email address as a username or give it out in a forum post . It may be used to send you spam emails which can be very irritating. If you want people to be able to email you, they can do so from your user profile.
Secondly, and much, much more importantly, never give contact information to people who you do not know on the internet or in emails or chat.
Tips for Your Safety:
Here are some basic personal safety tips you should consider when on the Internet:
- Don't give out personal information such as your home address or telephone number to people you meet on the net;
- Think seriously before agreeing to meet anyone in person whom you've met on the net:
- Can you verify, through a third party whom you know and trust, the true identity of this person?
- Is there a way to verify the information provided by this person?
UK Safer Internet Centre
Take a look at the UK Safer Internet Centre where you can find e-safety tips, advice and resources to help children and young people stay safe on the internet. Whilst it's a UK-based site the advice is useful for everyone.
- SafeInternet.org - Their mission is to promote a safe Internet and better educate and protect all users, especially children, teens and the elderly, from Internet corruption, crime, and abuse.
- Childnet International - A non-profit organisation working with others to help make the internet a great and safe place for children.