Meaning: If you are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, you are in a dilemma; a difficult choice.
- Category: Religion
Idioms similar to 'Between the devil and the deep blue sea'
- Better the devil you know
- Devil may care
- Devil is in the detail
- Let the devil take the hindmost
- Speak of the devil!
- Devil's advocate
- If you lie down with the Devil, you will wake up in hell
- Idle hands are the devil's handiwork
- Devil finds work for idle hands
Buy our lists of British English, American English and Animal idioms in PDF format. They're perfect to use offline for reference or for use in class!
If you have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms Discussion Forum.
If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please use our online form to suggest an idiom.