What does 'Between the devil and the deep blue sea' mean?
If you are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, you are in a dilemma; a difficult choice.
- Category: Religion
Idioms similar to 'Between the devil and the deep blue sea'
- Better the devil you know
- Devil may care
- Let the devil take the hindmost
- Speak of the devil!
- Devil is in the detail
- Devil's advocate
- If you lie down with the Devil, you will wake up in hell
- Idle hands are the devil's handiwork
- Devil finds work for idle hands
Buy our lists of British English, American English and Animal idioms in PDF format. They're perfect to use offline for reference or for use in class!