What does 'Take the cake' mean?
If something takes the cake, it is the best and takes the honours.
- Category: Food
- Contributor: Farah Carter
Idioms similar to 'Take the cake'
- Have your cake and eat it too
- You can't have your cake and eat it
- Pieces of the same cake
- You can't have cake and the topping, too
- Icing on the cake
- Dropped like a hot cake
- Piece of cake
- Cake's not worth the candle
Buy our lists of British English, American English and Animal idioms in PDF format. They're perfect to use offline for reference or for use in class!
If you have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms Discussion Forum.
If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please use our online form to suggest an idiom.