A LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHERS
Below is a preview of the 'Big Numbers- American and British English' lesson plan and is automatically generated from the PDF file. While it will look close to the original, there may be formatting differences. It's provided to allow you to view the content of the lesson plan before you download the file.
Lesson Plan Text
Big numbers in British and American English
Match the written numbers to a) or b) in each example
1. An old British billion was one million million
2. But nowadays the American billion has become standard. Nonetheless, in a British
context you can make yourself totally clear by just saying a thousand million for the same
3. In British English, it is common the use the word ‘and’ in numbers such as one hundred
and twenty three
4. Moving such numbers does not change how the ‘and’ is used, as in a hundred and
twenty three thousand
4. There might even be several “and”s in the same number, for example in one hundred
and three thousand and thirty three
5. What is the general rule for where the word “and” can be put in numbers?
6. Say all the numbers above without looking at the written descriptions.
7. Say the following numbers, practicing using the word ‘and’ in the right place when it can
Written by Alex Case for UsingEnglish.com © 2011