Dealing with complaints step by step practice
Work your way through the roleplays below with same roles each time. The roleplays should start short and easy and get longer and more difficult as you progress through them. You can use the same topic for each roleplay or change topics, whichever you prefer.
- Your partner will (politely) complain about one of the things below. Apologise.
- Do the same, but this time replying with an apology and reason why it happened.
- Do the same, but replying with an apology, reason, and future action.
- Do the same, but as emails.
- Do the same, but as a telephone call.
- Do the same (as telephone calls), but this time also use some phrases for sounding sympathetic and showing you are listening.
- Do the same, but with the first phone call leaving a message on your answer machine/ voice mail.
Possible things to complain about
Changes since the last batch
Delivered the wrong amount
Delivered the wrong thing
Documents not arrived
Equipment breaking down
Invoiced for the wrong amount
Lack of improvements
Low English level of a member of staff
Not giving necessary information
Not replying to an email or answer machine message
Passing on complaints from someone else
Problems with the computer system
Release of personal information
The wrong information
Ask about any steps above which were difficult to do, topics above which you don’t understand, etc.
Switch roles and do all seven steps again but with a different topic or topics.
Lesson plans & worksheets can be used by teachers without any fee in the classroom; however, please ensure you keep all copyright information and references to UsingEnglish.com in place.
You will need Adobe Reader to view these files.