Reporting verbs in business minutes
Change the sentences below into indirect speech and use a variety of reporting verbs to make the sentences more minutes-like. Try not to use the same reporting verb more than once. When there is no subject, you will also need to use a passive tense. Your teacher will tell you if/ when you can use the list of suggested verbs to help.
- CA “It would be a good idea to scrap the project.”
- MH “I will definitely finish the paperwork on time this time. I guarantee it.”
- “Does everyone agree that we should bring production forward. Yes? Okay, that’s what we will do.”
- AC “Okay, okay. I’ll interview the candidates for security guard. Just this once, though.”
- “Can I mention this year’s Xmas bonuses?”
- YY “Before I forget, we also have someone visiting from Shanghai next week.”
- EW “This slide is the reactions to our new product at the trade fair.”
- Chair “Can you book a larger conference room than last year?”
- SM “The reason for the delay was the weather.”
- WE “I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. We’re going to make a profit by this time next year.”
- TY “The quality is an absolute disaster. It’s a disgrace. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.”
- GT “There’s no need to worry about safety at the plant.”
- AMC “The economy will improve in the third quarter.”
- “We’ve talked about union recognition for nearly an hour without agreeing on anything. Can we move on?”
- HE “We will sign the contract soon. You have my word.”
------------------------------------------------cover or fold-----------------------------------------------
Some sentences above can use more than one option from here.
- agree on
- agree to
- ask for/ request
- bring up
- emphasize/ stress
- guarantee/ promise
- recommend/ suggest
Check as a class or with the suggested answers.
Many other answers are possible, so please check if you wrote something different.
- CA suggested/ recommended/ proposed scrapping the project
- MH promised to finish the paperwork on time/ MH guaranteed that the paperwork would be finished on time.
- It was decided to bring production forward./ Everyone agreed on the proposal to bring the production forward.
- AC agreed to interview the candidates for security guard
- Xmas bonuses were brought up.
- YY mentioned a visitor from Shanghai next week/ YY informed everyone of a visitor from Shanghai (next week)
- EW reported the reactions on the new product at the trade fair/ EW showed a graph of the reactions on the new product at the trade fair
- The chair requested/ asked for a larger conference room (than last year)
- SM explained the reason for the delay./ SM explained that the reason for the delay was the weather
- WE stressed/ emphasized that there would be a profit this time next year
- TY complained about the quality
- GT reassured everyone about the safety of the plant
- AMC predicted an improvement in the economy in the third quarter
- Union recognition was discussed.
- HE guaranteed that the contract would be signed in the near future
Lesson plans & worksheets can be used by teachers without any fee in the classroom; however, please ensure you keep all copyright information and references to UsingEnglish.com in place.
You will need Adobe Reader to view these files.