Editing Skills - Spelling - Answer Sheet
Lesson Plan Text
© 2005 UsingEnglish.com
Editing Skills- there are spelling mistakes in some of these
sentences; correct them where necessary
1. Governments are starting to ensure that their schools are online and have Intranets,
but look at what the schools do with their sites.
2. No aspect of learning a foreign language is more important than memory.
3. Swearing is part of expressive language; it is irrational: yet, it forms part of speech
and idiomatic language.
4. Why shouldn't adult EFL students have some introductory lessons on swear words
if only to caution and counsel them on their offensive nature and meaning and
inappropriateness in polite conversation?
5. There are two separate pieces to the riddle.
6. Critics of language exams often say that they force students to learn an artificial
form of standard English that is often at odds with the language used by many
7. Understanding informal and colloquial pronunciation as compared to more careful,
formal and “standard” English pronunciation is part of obtaining a better
understanding and awareness of the English language.
8. The basis of the modern approach to classification and diagnosis of mental illness
was instigated with a book published by Emil Kraepelin.
9. Throughout history languages have died out; I can't see the point in trying to
resurrect something like Cornish here.
10. However, this is also one of its difficulties; having mastered the basics of English,
many students then find it hard to reach the very high levels, because there are so
many exceptions to everything and so many funny little rules.
11. Soon afterwards (1828) he published An American Dictionary of the English
Language which eventually was regarded as the main authority on American
12. With the disclosure today that when a 13-year-old student handed in her essay, her
teacher discovered it had been written entirely as a text message, the question arises
about the effect of text messaging on literacy and the effect of technology on our
children’s mental ability.