Editing Skills - Unnecessary Words - Answer Sheet
Lesson Plan Text
© 2005 UsingEnglish.com
Editing Skills- There is a word in some of these sentences that
shouldn’t be there; delete the word or mark the sentence right.
yesterday's early launch gives Microsoft a valuable head-start over their rivals.
2. All drinkers develop some tolerance to
alcohol so that the heavy drinker can
take a third more than the novice.
3. Nearly two-thirds of the MPs present
voted against the president's candidate
in a session late last night.
4. If they expected the next hour to be an easy ride, they were to be surprised.
5. A controversial “safer cigarette”
designed to cut the risk of smoking-related
diseases such as cancer and heart failure by up to 90% is being launched soon.
6. Our attitude will be stronger
than in the earlier games.
7. Officials yesterday admitted the new drink laws could lead to more alcohol-
related arrests because
more police resources were being deployed in this area.
8. Students from disadvantaged backgrounds often do less well at university as they
struggle to pay the bills.
9. Towns and villages in
parts of England can expect more severe winter
flooding and lengthy droughts during the summer in coming decades due to
10. Five years ago research was published showing that everyone of European
extraction was descended from one of seven women who lived 40,000 years ago.