FCE (First Certificate in English) Speaking Part Three- Intensive Practice
Lesson Plan Text
Intensive Practice of FCE Speaking Part Three Collaborative Task
Do tasks from below that you or your teacher chooses:
1. Start with opposite points of view (your own choice or given to you by your teacher) in
the second part of the task and then try to bring your points of view together
2. In the first part of the task, agree with your partner half the time and disagree with your
partner half the time, making sure you still quickly move onto the next
3. Try to speak much more than your partner
4. Try to get your partner speaking much more than you
5. Try to speak exactly 50% each
6. Compete to be as polite as possible, e.g. by interrupting politely, letting your partner
speak first, and disagreeing politely.
7. Move through the task as fast as possible, making sure you both discuss all the points
you should, but quickly moving onto the next topic each time.
8. Use as much speculating language as you can, for example to guess exactly what the
pictures show and to guess what things might be most suitable.
9. Compare and contrast the things in the pictures as much as you can.
10.Do an exam task with your hands on your lap (so you must describe the pictures)
11. Do the exam task while avoiding the words that your teacher writes on the board in a
version of the speaking game “Taboo”
Brainstorm language for the functions above and then try the tasks above again.
Giving strong opinions
Giving weak opinions
Getting your partner to speak
Moving onto the next topic
Speculating, e.g. on what the pictures show and what things might be most suitable
Comparing and contrasting the things in the pictures
Showing which picture you are talking about
Talking about things you don’t know the name of/ Talking around vocabulary
Written by Alex Case for UsingEnglish.com © 2013