Lesson Plan Content:
Responding to requests politeness competition game
What is wrong with the responses to requests below?
- Here you go./ Grab this.
- Sit down and wait while I look.
- I can’t help you.
- Just a sec/ Just a mo./ Wait.
- Just this once.
- No chance./ Not a hope in hell./ You'd be lucky.
- Why not?
- We can’t do that./ It’s absolutely impossible.
- You’re asking the wrong person./ It’s not my job./ It’s not my responsibility./ It’s not my problem.
- Ask John instead.
- I/ We don’t have one/ any/ any left.
- I don’t have time.
- I don’t know how.
- I don’t understand your request.
- No, you can’t.
- Take it from the cupboard over there.
- Okay, do it.
- Give me five minutes.
Choose one of the phrases above and take turns trying to make it more and more polite. Stop whenever someone gives up or their phrase is actually less polite than the previous one, then discuss which of all the phrases was most useful for your own communications.