Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Imagine you are at a party. You're having a nice friendly conversation. Somehow you have been distracted.So is it possible tell your friends you've been talking to" Stick around. I'll be 5 minutes( I will return in 5 minutes)?

Last edited:
Imagine you are at a [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]party. You're having a nice friendly conversation. Somehow you have been distracted. So is it possible to tell your friends you've been talking to "Stick around. I'll be 5 minutes." (I will return in 5 minutes)?

That sounds perfectly natural :)

Last edited:
That sounds perfectly natural :)

Sorry for mixing up the defenite and indefenite article. I've been trying to get the hang of the article thing. But haven't been very successful so far:-D

Last edited:
Sorry for mixing up the defenite and indefenite article. I've been trying to get the hang of the article thing. But haven't beeb very successful so far:-D

Don't apologise! It's not easy to do, for any learner. At least you are trying - that's all the we ask of people who post for help!

Don't apologise! It's not easy to do, for any learner. At least you are trying - that's all the we ask of people who post for help!

:up:

Imagine you are at a the party. You're having a nice friendly conversation. Somehow you have been distracted. So is it possible tell your friends you've been talking to "Stick around. I'll be 5 minutes." (I will return in 5 minutes)?

In such cases I'd use the next form

So is it possible that you tell your friends..

Did you find that "that you" was redundant here. If so is it informal English then?

Is it also possible to use the ing form?

So is it possible telling your friends that you've been talking to..

Thanks

Imagine you are at a the party. You're having a nice friendly conversation. Somehow you have been distracted. So is it possible tell your friends you've been talking to "Stick around. I'll be 5 minutes." (I will return in 5 minutes)?

In such cases I'd use the next form

So is it possible that you tell your friends..

Did you find that "that you" was redundant here. If so is it informal English then?

Is it also possible to use the ing form?

So is it possible telling your friends that you've been talking to..

Thanks

Why not the simpler "is it possible to tell your friends ..." ?

Is it possible telling :cross:
Is it possible to tell :tick:

I've never heard anybody say, "I'll be 5 minutes." Shouldn't it be "(back) in 5 minutes"?
Or maybe, "It'll (only) be 5 minutes"?

Last edited:
/A learner/

I'll be (back in) five minutes.
I'll be (off for) five minutes.

Could this help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back