Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

I would like to is the usage of "same to you" appropriate?

Jack: Happy Friendship Day
Jill: Same to you

Do native speakers use "Same to you"?

What other phrases can replace "Same to you"?

Thanks

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I would like to is the usage of "same to you" appropriate?

Jack: Happy Friendship Day
Jill: Same to you

Do native speakers use "Same to you"?

What other phrases can replace "Same to you"?

Thanks
"Same to you" is common usage in response to a friendly comment. However, I prefer a little more depth in my responses. I would say:
Jill: Happy Friendship Day.
Jack: Thank you! Happy Friendship Day to you, too! :)

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
"Same to you" is common usage in response to a friendly comment. However, I prefer a little more depth in my responses. I would say:

Hello Amigos4,

I just read your answer and I would like to know if the fact of repeat the same words is not to pompous in English or American.:-|

Thanks for your reply.

anupumh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is there anything wrong is one uses "same to you"??

How regularly do native speakers use "same to you"??

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello Amigos4,

I just read your answer and I would like to know if the fact of repeat the same words is not to pompous in English or American.:-|

Thanks for your reply.
Not in this situation! The 'same to you' response in this example is understood as being friendly. (I personally find it to be a rather impersonal and simply generic response. It is a lazy response that doesn't require much effort!)

Now, if I said the following to you: 'Your mother is a hairy ape who swings from limb-to-limb all day!' you would not consider this to be a friendly comment! Therefore, your 'same to you' response would be meant as a negative, in your face comment. Context is everything! ;-)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there anything wrong [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] if one uses "same to you"?? No, there is nothing 'wrong' with the comment. I just don't think it is as friendly as the response I provided in my example.

How regularly do native speakers use "same to you"?? I hear it used often. I just don't like it! ;-)
`

anupumh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would like to know the views of other native speakers on the usage of "same to you", how appropriate or friendly they find it and what could be the possible alternatives??

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would like to know the views of other native speakers on the usage of "same to you", how appropriate or friendly they find it and what could be the possible alternatives??

I agree with Amigos, it's a bit impersonal, and too easy.

anupumh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I agree with Amigos, it's a bit impersonal, and too easy.

Thank you Bhaisahab, so is it not commonly used in UK? and what would you use instead of this? what is the common phrase used in this context by brittons?

I have somewhere heard, some brittons use "same to you with knobs on"

How appropriate is that?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you Bhaisahab, so is it not commonly used in UK? and what would you use instead of this? what is the common phrase used in this context by brittons?

I have somewhere heard, some brittons use "same to you with knobs on"

How appropriate is that?

People often use "same to you", I would prefer "A happy friendship day to you too". "The same to you with (brass) knobs on" is usually used to respond to an insult.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think so much can be conveyed in voice and manner.

A "Likewise!" with a big smile and a happy voice can be just fine, while a cold "Happy Friendship day to you too, I'm sure" can be rude and impersonal.

In general, though, I agree that "Likewise" is just a bit too easy to convey a real emotional connection.

If the entire conversation was taking place by IM, for example, you do need a bit more than the single word. "Oh, to you too!" could work. Of course, in an IM, you can add :-D

anupumh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
People often use "same to you", I would prefer "A happy friendship day to you too". "The same to you with (brass) knobs on" is usually used to respond to an insult.
what is "brass" is brackets? what does it mean? please elaborate on what you meant by it?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
what is "brass" is brackets? what does it mean? please elaborate on what you meant by it?

The saying is often "The same to you with brass knobs on".

anupumh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think so much can be conveyed in voice and manner.

A "Likewise!" with a big smile and a happy voice can be just fine, while a cold "Happy Friendship day to you too, I'm sure" can be rude and impersonal.

In general, though, I agree that "Likewise" is just a bit too easy to convey a real emotional connection.

If the entire conversation was taking place by IM, for example, you do need a bit more than the single word. "Oh, to you too!" could work. Of course, in an IM, you can add :-D
How appropriate do you find "same to you"??

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, I'm sorry again. I got lost in what I would be likely to say instead of what you asked. :oops:

Like the others, I think I find that particular phrase a bit cold without a bit more.

Oh! [you've just helped me realize what day it is] Same to you! [Because I just realized what day it was, I didn't have something more eloquent to say]

The same to you and your family! (That's more personal. It took more effort.)
Thank you! Wishing you the same!

But "Same to you" -- probably not.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It depends on context. If there isn't much time and, for example, one of you is headed out the door, "Same to you!" is just fine. Maybe you are talking to somebody and somebody else says "Have a good evening!" you might say "Same to you!" with a smile. ("Back atcha!" is also used.)

It's certainly better than nothing.

:)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
anupumh, you appear to be insistent upon using 'same to you' in your conversations. Tell us what YOU think about the 'same to you' expression.
On "Friendship Day" would you like to have your friends say 'same to you'? Or, would prefer to hear them say something a little friendlier? ;-)

anupumh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
anupumh, you appear to be insistent upon using 'same to you' in your conversations. Tell us what YOU think about the 'same to you' expression.
On "Friendship Day" would you like to have your friends say 'same to you'? Or, would prefer to hear them say something a little friendlier? ;-)
I am not insistent on using "same to you" but insisting on knowing how appropriate or inappropriate does a native speaker find it and do native Americans or native Britishers use it in their conversation.

And reason of my insistence of knowing this originates from the fact that its a common and widely used expression in India in the context I stated above. And then yesterday a language trainer told me that "same to you" is an Indianism and inappropriate expression as native speakers don't use it, thus I wanted to confirm the same..

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not insistent on using "same to you" but insisting on knowing how appropriate or inappropriate does a native speaker find it and do native Americans or native Britishers use it in their conversation.

And reason of my insistence of knowing this originates from the fact that its a common and widely used expression in India in the context I stated above. And then yesterday a language trainer told me that "same to you" is an Indianism and inappropriate expression as native speakers don't use it, thus I wanted to confirm the same..
Thank you for the clarification!

I am still curious....
On "Friendship Day" would you like to have your friends say 'same to you'? Or, would prefer to hear them say something a little friendlier? ;-) :cool:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I understand it, the whole point of this thread is that in India "Same to you" is considered quite friendly. It's only our perception of how it's used where we live that makes us see it as less than warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.