[Vocabulary] Same to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the clarification!

I am still curious....
On "Friendship Day" would you like to have your friends say 'same to you'? Or, would prefer to hear them say something a little friendlier? ;-) :cool:
Well thats what I was taught to use right from my school days, a standard reply..

Last edited:
I am not insistent on using "same to you" but insisting on knowing how appropriate or inappropriate does a native speaker find it and do native Americans or native Britishers use it in their conversation.

And reason of my insistence of knowing this originates from the fact that its a common and widely used expression in India in the context I stated above. And then yesterday a language trainer told me that "same to you" is an Indianism and inappropriate expression as native speakers don't use it, thus I wanted to confirm the same..
You now know that Americans and Britishers do use it. As for what is appropriate, that depends on context. What does a language trainer do?
:)

Thank you for the clarification!

I am still curious....
On "Friendship Day" would you like to have your friends say 'same to you'? Or, would prefer to hear them say something a little friendlier? ;-) :cool:
It might be surprising but out here in India, 90% will use "same to you", including me, I have hardly heard any other expressions used, thus I wont be able to distinguish which one is friendlier. Also the tone will play a vital role in deciding whether it is a warm or a casual response..

You now know that Americans and Britishers do use it. As for what is appropriate, that depends on context. What does a language trainer do?
The language trainer is an Indian and he trains on English Communication (Vocabulary, Grammar and Accent). A so called certified voice and accent trainer working in Indian BPOs who cater to British, American, Canadian or Australian customers.

It might be surprising but out here in India, 90% will use "same to you", including me, I have hardly heard any other expressions used, thus I wont be able to distinguish which one is friendlier. Also the tone will play a vital role in deciding whether it is a warm or a casual response..
Thank you, anupumh! I have enjoyed our conversation! :up:

Cheers,
Amigos

The language trainer is an Indian and he trains on English Communication (Vocabulary, Grammar and Accent). A so called certified voice and accent trainer working in Indian BPOs who cater to British, American, Canadian or Australian customers.
BPOs
:?:

Hey, RonBee! I looked online and found the following: Business process outsourcing (BPO) refers to when a corporation hires another company to handle its business activities. BPO does not refer to IT outsourcing, but rather outsourcing regular business processes, including accounting, payroll, human resources, call center operations, and customer service activity.

I had no idea what a BPO was until anupumh mentioned it in his post.

Cheers,
:cool:

Sometimes if you make a customer service call it will be answered by someone in India.

Sometimes if you make a customer service call it will be answered by someone in India.

True! And the name of the service rep will usually be "Billy Bob", "Roger", or "Thomas"!!! :lol::lol::lol:;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back