Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
“Did you not hear me, Miss Mercer?” the Vandy said, twisting the rope in her fist. “I said come forward.”

“Actually, Ms. Vanderlyden,” I said, trying not to sound as nervous as I felt, “see this?” I gestured to my mass of curly hair. “This is a perm, and I just got it done the other day, so . . . yeah, probably shouldn’t get it wet.”

I heard a few muffled giggles, and next to me, my roommate Jenna muttered, “Nice one.”

When I first came to Hecate, I would’ve been too terrified of the Vandy to talk back to her like that. But by the end of last semester, I’d watched my great-grandmother kill my best frenemy, and the boy I loved had pulled a knife on me.

I was a little tougher now.

I’d watched my great-grandmother kill my best frenemy, and the boy I loved had pulled a knife on me. ??

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
“Did you not hear me, Miss Mercer?” the Vandy said, twisting the rope in her fist. “I said come forward.”

“Actually, Ms. Vanderlyden,” I said, trying not to sound as nervous as I felt, “see this?” I gestured to my mass of curly hair. “This is a perm, and I just got it done the other day, so . . . yeah, probably shouldn’t get it wet.”

I heard a few muffled giggles, and next to me, my roommate Jenna muttered, “Nice one.”

When I first came to Hecate, I would’ve been too terrified of the Vandy to talk back to her like that. But by the end of last semester, I’d watched my great-grandmother kill my best frenemy, and the boy I loved had pulled a knife on me.

I was a little tougher now.

I’d watched my great-grandmother kill my best frenemy, and the boy I loved had pulled a knife on me. ??
"To pull a knife on someone" is to threaten that person with a knife. I don't know what the writer means by "best frenemy" it looks like a play on the words "friend" and "enemy".

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A "frenemy" (or I've seen it "frienemy") is indeed a portmanteau word, or "mash-up word" made out of friend and enemy.

It's basically a friend who is also a rival, or an enemy disguised as a friend - it reminds me of the saying "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer" I think.

I don't know how far back the word could be traced but it's certainly very common teenage slang nowadays. It might be more American than English, I'm not sure.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"To pull a knife on someone" is to threaten that person with a knife. I don't know what the writer means by "best frenemy" it looks like a play on the words "friend" and "enemy".

I've only met it in American TV Shows. My sister had a notable one of these, and she was called a 'scratching friend'. (I'm not suggesting it's better; and Br English is full of portmanteau words like 'frenemy' [look, for example, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky ] - just not this one yet.)

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.