Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
“Great. We can pick out our colors.”
“What?”
“For the wedding. I’m thinking melon and mint. Supposed to be really hot next spring.”

melon and mint?? colors?

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker.***

but its grammar seems a bit ungrammatical to me.

Sorry Tinkerbell for I'll be a little out of context. But the part I quoted from Nightmare85's post sounded a tad illogical to me. Yes, I know that if someone asks me if I would like some water, I wouldn't expect a certain mass of water carried in the air, or a handful of water. I'd expect some water in a glass. If you, Nightmare85, asked what this water analogy is all about, I'd say that this is about getting to the point faster.

Now, the point is, if it is its grammar, it cannot be ungrammatical for it is its own grammar. Something cannot be wrong in its own terms. It should be right in itself (like "Ding an sich"). So, it should have been either "it's a bit ungrammatical..." or "its use of grammar seems a bit wrong". I'm aware that this matter is of trivious importance, but since you are from Goedel and Kant's country, I hope that you would understand my point.

I was about to pm this to you, but then I decided that it would be good to learn what others thought on this matter.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
So, melon and mint wedding dresses :) or what?

By the way context is from a novel.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
euncu, was this addressed to me or to Tinkerbell?

I said it seemed a bit ungrammatical to me because of:
“Great! We can pick out our colors.”
“What?”
“For the wedding. I’m thinking (about)/(of) melon and mint. (It's) S/supposed to be really hot next spring.”

I thought the last sentence needed an a but it's okay as it is.

Well, maybe my "suggestions" are not necessary here.
To be honest: I did not read the text that long, but my first impression was a bit "bad".

Cheers!

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
So, melon and mint wedding dresses :) or what?

By the way context is from a novel.

Yes, they are names of colours - but they are very pretentious names, in some ways (we don't walk around in real life asking for a melon green sofa, not often. Mint green is more common) - it's designed to sound a little silly/over the top, in my opinion.

I don't think it's the wedding dress itself she is talking about. It's more likely to be bridesmaid dresses, flowers, table decorations and so on - at a wedding people normally work from a restricted colour group to make sure everything "goes" and those will be referred to as the wedding colours.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
euncu, was this addressed to me or to Tinkerbell?

To be honest: I did not read the text that long, but my first impression was a bit "bad".

If you had read it all, you would have already seen that my post doesn't contain anything that may offend you, which wasn't something that I meant to.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I did read your text yet I wasn't 100% sure.
When I said, "I did not read the text that long" I meant Tinkerbell's post.
I quickly saw some questionable parts, and that's why I mentioned it. :)

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.