Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
United States
Hi guys, really I am suffering when I focus on grammar. So, I need your help :cry:.

The story has begun when I received a message from my IPhone
" The device may be not working properly"
My first question: is it present continues ( Be+verb ING) and if so, why the verb changes to adjective likes the previous example or noun e.g. I am sitting ?.

The second question: properly is an adverb so how does the adverb become after noun or adjectives ?

I really really appreciate your help

Regards

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi guys, really I am suffering when I focus on grammar. So, I need your help :cry:.

The story [STRIKE]has begun[/STRIKE] (began)(begins) when I received a message from my IPhone

My first question: is it present continuous ( Be+verb ING) yes
and if so, why the verb changes to adjective likes the previous example or noun It's not an adjective; it's a continuous tense verb.

e.g. I am sitting ?. "sitting" is a continuous tense verb.

The second question: properly is an adverb so how does the adverb become after noun or adjectives ? Again, "working" is a verb.

Regards

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
" The device may not be working properly".
My first question: is it present continuous ( Be+verb ING)
We would not normally refer to this as a 'present continuous' form.

The present continuous is formed from the present tense of the verb BE and the -ing-form of the verb: My device is not working properly.

In your sentence we have the continuous form of a modal construction; the BE + ing is infinitive.

As engee30 suggests, the word order is normally, (1) "The device may not be working properly".

However, you may well hear, (2) "The device may be not working properly".

in #2 the apeaker is perhaps thinking of 'not working properly' as being roughly synonymous with 'out of order', 'flawed', etc.

ibra121

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
United States
Originally Posted by ibra121
Hi guys, really I am suffering when I focus on grammar. So, I need your help .

The story has begun (began)(begins) when I received a message from my IPhone

My first question: is it present continuous ( Be+verb ING) yes
and if so, why the verb changes to adjective likes the previous example or noun It's not an adjective; it's a continuous tense verb.

e.g. I am sitting ?. "sitting" is a continuous tense verb.

The second question: properly is an adverb so how does the adverb become after noun or adjectives ? Again, "working" is a verb.

Regards

Thank you for your reply.
but if you check the dictionary it will show you it is a noun. Also, for sitting. That the reason why i'm confused !

regards

ibra121

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
United States
We would not normally refer to this as a 'present continuous' form.

The present continuous is formed from the present tense of the verb BE and the -ing-form of the verb: My device is not working properly.

In your sentence we have the continuous form of a modal construction; the BE + ing is infinitive.

As engee30 suggests, the word order is normally, (1) "The device may not be working properly".

However, you may well hear, (2) "The device may be not working properly".

in #2 the apeaker is perhaps thinking of 'not working properly' as being roughly synonymous with 'out of order', 'flawed', etc.

Thank you for your reply. but why the dictionary shows me working as a noun?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your reply. but why does the dictionary show[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] me 'working' as a noun?
Like many words in English, the word 'working' can operate as more than one part of speech. It is not a noun in your sentence.

ibra121

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
United States
I don't now how i can thank you guys for your help. I am working to fix bugs in my grammar.

Have good one

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
We would not normally refer to this as a 'present continuous' form. But why not? It does refer to the present and it is the continuous tense form.

To me, "The device may not be working properly". is a variant of "My device is not working properly."
I don't think the presence of "may" is significant.

ibra121

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
United States
guys

I wrote
"The story has begun (began)(begins) when I received a message from my IPhone"

and 2006 corrected my sentence. If I change when to since I guess the present perfect will work properly?

^^^^
Here i tried to write tag question but I could not. so help me please in that
:roll:

Regards

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
guys

I wrote
"The story has begun (began)(begins) when I received a message from my IPhone"

and 2006 corrected my sentence. If I change when to since I guess the present perfect will work properly. Won't it?
No, it won't.
^^^^
:roll:

Regards

ibra121

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
United States
Hi 2006

Could you please explain to me why?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi 2006

Could you please explain to me why?

You cannot say '(Something) has begun since.......', just as you cannot say '(Something) has begun when........'.
You can say '(Something) has been happening since.....'. "since" introduces a period of time. Something (begins)(began) at a point in time.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
5jj: We would not normally refer to this as a 'present continuous' form.
2006: But why not? It does refer to the present and it is the continuous tense form.

5jj: Because a modal is involved.

2006: To me, "The device may not be working properly". is a variant of "My device is not working properly." I don't think the presence of "may" is significant.
5jj: Your sentence is an example of modal usage, as is "The device will not be/cannot/etc be working properly"

Tense [FONT=&quot]is generally defined in ways such as: the relationship of the form of the verb and the time of the action it describes. Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics,2nd dition, 1992.

I have underlined the important words. By this definition, English has only two true tenses, the so-called present simple and past simple. However, many writers extend the use of the word tense to include what others consider aspects, the perfect and progressive (or continuous) forms. Thus the English tense system is often considered to be:

Present: Simple (I do); Progressive (I am doing); Perfect (I have done); Perfect Progressive (I have been doing)
Past:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Simple (I did); Progressive (I was doing); Perfect (I had done);[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Perfect Progressive (I had been doing)

We may also use modal verbs (can, could, may, might, must, shall, should, will, would) with the infinitive form of verb; the infinitive can be simple (do), progressive (be doing), perfect (have done) or perfect progressive (have been doing). These are not part of the tense system as such.
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.