Past or Present Perfect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen them for the last one month.

It is still going on that I have not seen them the whole last month until now. That's why I use present perfect here. Am I right? Thanks.

Say "I haven't seen them...." (present perfect). That is because it is ongoing. I haven't seen them for a month and I still haven't seen them (up to the present).

Like Harry, I would say for a month.

~R

Hi

I haven`t seen them for a month [ unfinished action- the process is still going on]
I didn`t see them last month.[ past action- finished]

Regards,

Hi

I haven`t seen them for a month [ unfinished action- the process is still going on]

Regards,

That is right. :up:

~R

for : Present Perfect but For The Last Month! Last Month ended ! So what we use for the ended time?.....
Past Simple....

Hi
Regards,
If ıt was "for a month" yes yours is the correct one but it is "for the last one month"...

For the last month = in the period equal to a month coming up to now (not a calendar month, but an unfinished 30-day period), so it's prenet perfect. ;-)

Hi

Tdol is right !

For the last month = for the last 30 days . Therefore, present perfect should be used.
"Last month" requires past tense.

Regards

For the last month = in the period equal to a month coming up to now (not a calendar month, but an unfinished 30-day period), so it's prenet perfect. ;-)

I think "For the last month" functions the same like "in the last year", which means between 365 days ago and now or from 365 days ago till now.

I think "For the last month" functions the same like "in the last year", which means between 365 days ago and now or from 365 days ago till now.

Hi Retro

Yes, you are right but the correct phrase is "for the last year"

Regards

Hi Teia,

ENGLISH PAGE - Present Perfect prefers "in the last year."

Hi

Thank you. I have read the explanations. However, I don`t agree to this type of usage : in the last year/ week, etc. I prefer "for the last year/week, etc., or "this year/week"..-they seem more Standard English to me, that is why I avoid using "in the last year". I use Present Perfect with "in the past two/three, [etc.] years, as well.

Regards,

Last edited:
in this sentence last is the confusing word but after some words like in, for, during + the + last/past + Noun we use present perfect tense

It is still going on that I have not seen them the whole last month until now. That's why I use present perfect here. Am I right? Thanks.

yes you are right.

for the last month indicates that it is finished. So I would choose the past

Last month is finished, but for the past month means for a period equal to a month leading up to now. ;-)

i agree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back