Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The note-book for ones who practise muscial instrument with 5 lines in a row on the note-book.

1. What do we call the above note-book?

4. What do we call the thin piece of hard stuff for protection one's fingers while playing guitar?

Thank you

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The note-book for ones who practise muscial instrument with 5 lines in a row on the note-book.

1. What do we call the above note-book?
A manuscript book.
I'm not sure what you mean. The signs used at the beginning of a stave to show the key are called 'the key signature'. When those signs occur on their own - one at a time - to change one note, they are 'accidentals'.

4. What do we call the thin piece of hard stuff for protection one's fingers while playing guitar?
A 'pick' or 'plectrum'. Some guitarists use a pick attached to each finger: these are called 'finger-picks' - except, of course, for the thumb-pick.

Thank you
;-)

b
PS: These are the terms in Br Eng. In Am Eng there are differences in the names of notes (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_value ), and there may well be for other terms as well.

Last edited:

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Ju

As regards your specific questions, it's a long time since I played the piano, violin and viola at school, so you'll have to bear with me.

1. What do we call the above note-book? A manuscript book.

2. The notes are Breves, semi-breves, crochets, quavers, semi-quavers and either semi-demi(?) or demi-semi(?)-quavers. The notes of the musical "score" are arranged on the five-line "staff" or "stave". Piano music normally uses 2 sets of 5-lines - the upper one for the right hand (treble [G] clef) and the lower for the left hand (base [F] clef). Violas use the C clef.
See: Staff (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The "staff" also indicates the key "signature" ("sharps & flats"), the number of "beats to the "bar" and (above it) the "tempo" at which it's played.

3. What do we call the little turning sticks ( around 4 on each side) on each side of the guitar handle which can tune the keys of the cord?
They are called tuning pegs on a violin - see:
Tuning pegs - encyclopedia article about Tuning pegs.
Violins/violas have 4 - guitars, I believe, normally have 6.
See: Guitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's called a plectrum or pick - see
plectrum - definition of plectrum by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
pick - definition of pick by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

One other useful reference is:
Glossary of musical terminology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards
R21

PS In previewing, I've just noticed BobK's response which covers similar ground.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia

The handle is called 'headstock', here's something pleasant for the eye:

gibson-guitar-parts.jpg

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The handle is called 'headstock', here's something pleasant for the eye:

gibson-guitar-parts.jpg

Where did this picture come from? I'm afraid, though pleasant, it is misleading. The person who labelled the machine-heads presumably played the violin (which, like a flamenco guitar - which this is not - has pegs for tuning). Also, like many works of reference, it calls the fret-wires 'frets'. The fret is the space between the fret wires. (But this is such a commonly made mistake that the distinction I've made is falling into desuetude.)

Finally, I'm surprised by the label 'Stop Bar Tailpiece'. It may be called a 'stop bar', but it's not a tailpiece (which, on a semi-acoustic guitar, tethers the strings to a button at the base of the body - see http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/44685_l.jpg ) ;-)

b

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Where did this picture come from? I'm afraid, though pleasant, it is misleading. The person who labelled the machine-heads presumably played the violin (which, like a flamenco guitar - which this is not - has pegs for tuning). Also, like many works of reference, it calls the fret-wires 'frets'. The fret is the space between the fret wires. (But this is such a commonly made mistake that the distinction I've made is falling into desuetude.)

Finally, I'm surprised by the label 'Stop Bar Tailpiece'. It may be called a 'stop bar', but it's not a tailpiece (which, on a semi-acoustic guitar, tethers the strings to a button at the base of the body - see http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/44685_l.jpg ) ;-)

b

Oops, I apologise then. I didn't double check the source. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.