Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
‘I don’t believe it,’ Freddie muttered. ‘Everyone knows cats would lie as soon as look at you. This Ginger probably made it all up.’

This sentence is from a young reader novel, and Freddie gives a mission to Ginger (cat) to learn a secret. But I couldn't understand what "as soon as look at you" means. Is it smth. like "You can understand that a would lie to you at a glance?"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They would be just as likely to lie to you as to look at you. There is an equal probability of lying and looking. (In other words, they lie often and easily.)

(Not my experience with cats, by the way. When they say "I'm hungry, and I mean it!" they mean it. When they say "This is a good time for you to pet me now," they actually want you to pet them, and when they say "this is not a good time for you to pet me," they mean that too. Of course, mine have never used words to tell me these things)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Cats will lie as easily as they will look at you, i.e., they lie very readily.

ps. Barb was too fast for me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They would be just as likely to lie to you as to look at you. There is an equal probability of lying and looking. (In other words, they lie often and easily.)

(Not my experience with cats, by the way. When they say "I'm hungry, and I mean it!" they mean it. When they say "This is a good time for you to pet me now," they actually want you to pet them, and when they say "this is not a good time for you to pet me," they mean that too. Of course, mine have never used words to tell me these things)

I don't know. I've got cats lying all around my house. ;-)

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
They would be just as likely to lie to you as to look at you.
Cats will lie as easily as they will look at you, i.e., they lie very readily.
But literally, it means that cats lie the moment they look at you, doesn't it? (Cf. "Hello, she lied." :lol: )

I don't know. I've got cats lying all around my house. ;-)
Am I right thinking that this is a pun that plays on the ambiguity of "lying"? :)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The expression is not meant to be understood literally. Understand it as Barb explained.

Yes, I was making a pun.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The original expression is idiomatic. "I'd as soon X as Y" means X is just as appealing to me (perhaps more so) than Y.

It means that cats would be just as happy to lie to you as to look at you. It does not mean that they start to lie to you the moment they look at you.

I'd as soon spend the time kissing you as talking to you -- that doesn't mean I'll start kissing you the moment we start talking. It's just my preference for how we'd spend our time together.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Thank you very much for your excellent explanation. :) (Also, your example makes it easy for me to memorise this expression. :-D )

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, usually the though expressed is not so pleasant -- he's so mean, he'd as soon shoot you as look at you -- but if it helps you remember, great!

Status
Not open for further replies.