Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi,
I'm Italian and I'm teaching my children English.

I showed them the video "Dolphin Dinner" from "National Geographic" (section Mammals)
Can anybody take the trouble of filling in the few missing words (there is no script, I wrote it down myself.
"
This spectacular display of airtime by these dusky dolphins actually has a practical purpose. These are scouts looking for food. And this is only half the operation. Here’s the underwater scout patrol. Sending out dolphin sonar pings to locate a meal. The first dolphin airborne division does its best to stake out the banquet.
And there it is. Sixty feet underwater a colossal mass of life ** like a titanic super organism. This, friends, is the mother-load of one hundred foot-wide mass of anchovies. The dolphins leap out of the water using their violent splashes to herd the anchovies close together.
Another team of dolphins guides the anchovies to the surface. (missing line) Then there is more crowing? crowding? in the form of splashing: the anchovies are pushed up as far as they can go.
The dolphin plan is working perfectly thanks to immaculate teamwork.
The dolphins have the anchovies right where they want them, bunched up, ready to eat until some hungry sea-lions crash the party and threaten to scatter the meal.
Desperate dolphins perform an elaborate flip signaling for help . **?? needed to herd the anchovies back in a line
Incredibly, these splashes are heard from miles away. Duskies raise to the rescue to get in on what promises to be one supersized monster megameal.
The new arrivals go right to work showing up the invisible wall of the anchovy pen. the anchovies have lost their energy and their will to resist. the dolphins can now pick them off at will. The hunt is over."
thanks a lot!

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is there any way to listen to it?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
And there it is. Sixty feet underwater a colossal mass of life UNDULATING like a titanic super organism. This, friends, is the mother-load of one hundred foot-wide mass of anchovies. The dolphins leap out of the water using their violent splashes to herd the anchovies close together.
Another team of dolphins guides the anchovies to the surface. ONE LESS ESCAPE ROUTE. Then there is more CORRALING in the form of splashing: the anchovies are pushed up as far as they can go.
The dolphins have the anchovies right where they want them, bunched up, ready to eat until some hungry sea-lions crash the party and threaten to scatter the meal.
Desperate dolphins perform an elaborate flip signaling for help. MORE DOLPHINS ARE needed to herd the anchovies back in a line
Incredibly, these splashes are heard from miles away. Duskies raise to the rescue to get in on what promises to be one supersized monster megameal.
The new arrivals go right to work showing up the invisible wall of the anchovy pen. the anchovies have lost their energy and their will to resist. the dolphins can now pick them off at will. The hunt is over."
thanks a lot!

cip

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
HAT OFF!!
THANKS A LOT

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I picked up a couple of differences, but I only managed to hear the video once before the site crashed so I couldn't check. ;-)
And there it is. Sixty feet under (TWO WORDS*) water a colossal mass of life UNDULATING like a titanic super organism. This, friends, is the mother-lo[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]dE :?:eek:f:?: (Looks odd; isn't it just a colon followed by 'a'? As I say, I can't listen again. ) one hundred foot-wide mass of anchovies. The dolphins leap out of the water using their violent splashes to herd the anchovies close together.
Another team of dolphins guides the anchovies to the surface. ONE LESS ESCAPE ROUTE. Then there is more CORRALING in the form of splashing: the anchovies are pushed up as far as they can go.
Desperate dolphins perform an elaborate flip signaling for help. MORE DOLPHINS ARE needed to herd the anchovies back in [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] (Impossible - they were never in one. It must be either 'back in line' or 'back into line') line
Incredibly, these splashes are heard from miles away. Duskies ra[STRIKE]is[/STRIKE]Ce to the rescue to get in on what promises to be one supersized monster megameal.
The new arrivals go right to work sho[STRIKE]w[/STRIKE]Ring up the invisible wall of the anchovy pen. The anchovies have lost their energy and their will to resist. The dolphins can now pick them off at will. The hunt is over."

Incidentally, 'corraling' is a strange word to choose - especially when it's used in the phrase 'more corraling' (which in the context means 'herding' or 'driving'. To me, 'corraling' should involve some physical enclosure, like a corral. I suppose the surface splashes and shadows and noise act like a physical enclosure, but the initial underwater herding was just that - herding.

b

PS *This matters more than you might think. The adjective underwater has a single primary stress, with secondary stress on the third syllable. The adverbial under water has two primary stresses - the two versions sound different so it makes sense to make them look different too. ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.