Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello,

I wonder if it's OK for me to keep posting these "Help, I'm trying to transcribe this video and I'm stuck" threads. I'll try and limit this type of question to once a week or less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrlKtlVq6Z0

It's actually the very first sentence of the video I am having trouble with.

"The drama in South Korean soap operas like these look harmless enough, but if you believe South Korean officials, Kim Jong-un executed North Korean party officials merely for watching them"

1. I definitely hear something other than "if you believe" there - more like "as you'd believe," but I don't think that makes sense.

2. [Grammar] - "The drama in South Korean soap operas like these look harmless enough" - if I made out this part correctly, I believe the "look" in the sentence should be "looks" as the verb agrees with "The drama." Can CNN make grammar errors, too, or did I miss something here?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

- HKB

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it's acceptable if you make the subject title relevant to the grammatical or pronunciational point you're asking about, eg. "But if you believe?"
Yes, that's what she says. She might be saying 'look' or 'looks'. It's easy to swallow an 's' like that in fast speech. It's probably there in her mind, but didn't quite get to her tongue or make an impression on the microphone.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think she said "look". I can't hear any hint of a swallowed "s" at the end. I have a feeling that she might have been thrown by having just said "South Korean soap operas​".

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I still hear something other than just "if," but that's the only word I know that would make sense in that particular spot. It still bothers me, though. Can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something there.

As for the missing "s," I don't hear any hint of it, either, but as Raymott have said, it may have been in her mind but failed to make it to her tongue.

Thank you very much, Raymott and emsr2d2, for your opinions. I'm not a native speaker, so even a simple confirmation by a couple of native speakers really helps.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I think she is saying, 'but if you believe' and that the soundtrack of the soap opera extract being shown gets in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.