Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
Are these both fine? Is only A correct? If possible, please explain to me why :)

A) I'm going to have Lauren talk to the restaurant about the reservation.

B) I'm going to have Lauren to talk to the restaurant about the reservation.

Thank you in advanced!

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

B) is wrong.

Your member info seems a bit iffy. You might want to correct or confirm it before posting again.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can do this, margyface, by clicking on Forum Actions, Edit Post, and then Save.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are these both fine? Is only A correct? If possible, please explain to me why :)

A) I'm going to have Lauren talk to the restaurant about the reservation. This is the correct one. You are going to do something: What are you going to do? You are going to have Lauren talk. To whom? To the restaurant.

B) I'm going to have Lauren to talk to the restaurant about the reservation.

Thank you in advanced! It's better to just say "Thank you." It's clear that it's in advance. We have to read your question before we answer!

Does that explain it?

margyface

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
Kind of. Thank you
Why is it that I can't have that extra "to" like in B?

I don't think "Thank you in advanced" is a big enough deal to be corrected. I was playing on the acronym TIA, often seen in forums I've visited. Thanks for the input there, though...I guess :/

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think "Thank you in advanced" is a big enough deal to be corrected.
It certainly is! It's ungrammatical.

'Thank you in advance' is grammatical but unnecessary. We have a Thank button for you to click on after you receive a useful reply.

You have still not edited your profile, or explained how a native speaker of Chinese has Canada as their home country.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why is it that I can't have that extra "to" like in B?

Some verbs take a bare infinitive, others take a to-infinitive or a gerund. It's simply a matter of accepting this and trying to learn them- there's no real answer to the question about why except that everyone does it this way. However, in this case, it's a causative structure, when you don't do the action but make someone else do it, and if you make the causative with have, we have someone do, not [strike]to do[/strike], something .

margyface

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
It certainly is! It's ungrammatical.

'Thank you in advance' is grammatical but unnecessary. We have a Thank button for you to click on after you receive a useful reply.

You have still not edited your profile, or explained how a native speaker of Chinese has Canada as their home country.

My question was about sentences A and B. TIA isn't important in this case. This isn't a school paper or a formal letter. I couldn't care less about TIA and how I'd written it because that wasn't my original inquiry.

Regarding my profile: Surprise, surprise! Not all people in Canada are white and/or speak English or French as their first language. There are a lot of immigrants, different cultures, languages, etc. in Canada.
I'm a second-generation Canadian. My parents were born and raised in Taiwan, but moved to Canada after getting married. Then I was born. My parents don't speak English terribly well, so I grew up speaking Mandarin with them and English at school. My Mandarin and English are on par, but Mandarin is my first language, so I decided to put that one down. Canada is my home country because I was born there. I'm a Canadian citizen. I have a Canadian passport. It really isn't unusual for Canadians to be close to their ancestral roots. I'm certain multi-culturalism and diversity is something Canadians take pride in. (It wasn't mentioned, but my location is Japan because I'm currently living in Japan for school and work.)

I see how native language is important at this website. However, not in the case of my inquiry. It is a mere A or B and why question.

Yes, I know there is a Thank button. I'd already clicked it for Charlie Bernstein's kind response by the time you posted.

Now that I've explained myself, I don't think I will be back to this website. Thank you, Rover, for digressing from the original inquiry and for making me feel like I need to defend my background/ethnicity/race.

Last edited:

margyface

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
Some verbs take a bare infinitive, others take a to-infinitive or a gerund. It's simply a matter of accepting this and trying to learn them- there's no real answer to the question about why except that everyone does it this way. However, in this case, it's a causative structure, when you don't do the action but make someone else do it, and if you make the causative with have, we have someone do, not [strike]to do[/strike], something .

Thank you for your explanation, Tdol.

(Note to Rover and any other mod: I have clicked the Thank button. I'm writing it now to make my gratitude more personal.)

margyface

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
Roman55 already told you that

Not a teacher.

Matthew Wai, I saw that. By pointing back to Roman55's response, you have now told me that B is wrong because it's wrong.
My follow up question was asking why B is wrong. Why is it that having the infinitive there makes the sentence wrong? What makes the infinitive wrong?

You don't have to put down that you're not a teacher. Clearly, you aren't. I'm in the "Ask a teacher" forum to ask a teacher.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My follow up question was asking why B is wrong.
Speaking as a learner, not a teacher, sometimes we simply have to memorize it without having to know why. I don't understand why 'to' is optional in 'help someone (to) do something' either, but I simply memorized it.

You don't have to put down that you're not a teacher.
I have to do so because it is a forum rule here.

I don't think I will be back to this website.
We Chinese people are not so petty, are we?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Speaking as a learner, not a teacher, sometimes we simply have to memorize it without having to know why. I don't understand why 'to' is optional in 'help someone (to) do something' either, but I simply memorized it.

It is a causative verb (verb+person/thing+verb) as Tdol has explained, that's why.

not a teacher

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
But Tdol has not explained why 'to' is optional.

Not a teacher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.