Are both correct to say here: I had a complicated case so I paid a little more. VS

• Thread starter B45
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,726
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Are both correct to say here:

I had a complicated case so I paid a little more.

VS

I had a complicated case so I had to pay a little more.

Talking about a cosmetic procedure.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are both OK. I prefer the second. It makes it clear that the extra payment was required.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think the first might suggest that the speaker paid a little more of his/her own accord, but I am not a teacher.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I agree Matthew. It sounds to me that they may have chosen to pay more to have exactly what they wanted. e.g.. By choosing to use a more well known surgeon.

The second sentence sounds as though they were told they needed the extra work, and so they had little, or no, choice other than to pay for it in order to get the complete job done.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I think the first and the second B inside brackets above should be replaced with b and /b respectively in order to put the word in boldface, but I am not a teacher.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Perhaps Eckaslike tried to bold a word but got it wrong, and tidied it up whilst Matthew was posting the above.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Yes Rover_KE, that was exactly right.

I was posting from a mobile phone which decided to post the message twice. It also didn't highlight the word "may" properly, which I then rectified by removing the bold completely. I also had to delete the duplicate posting.

Unfortunately a poor combination of dodgy phone signal and fat fingers!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the first and the second B inside brackets above should be replaced with b and /b respectively in order to put the word in boldface, but I am not a teacher.

Matthew, the "I am not a teacher" is required when answering ENGLISH questions.

On matters of the world such as this case of HTML coding it is not only not necessary, but rather silly. Do we expect English teachers to know coding more than other people?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Barb_D, 'but I am not a teacher' suggested that poor English might have been used in the post irrelevant to English learning, as Rover_KE subsequently showed that 'to bold (something)' could have been used instead of 'to put (something) in boldface'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is nothing wrong with either form.

When you are making suggestions about how the world works (not English), you can skip the phrase in your response. Teachers don't know everything about everything. Your lack of English credentials do not make you other thoughts less valid so "but I am not a teacher" just doesn't apply. If you wish to add a phrase about not expressing yourself fluently, that's fine but IMO unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.