Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would like you to imagine that I am in the hospital right now and I go in the doctor's room for the check up. There are two doctors in that room. One of them is free and the other one is seeing a patient. The doctor who is free wants to check me but I want to see the other doctor who is seeing the other patient at the moment. What would I say to that doctor? "I want to see that doctor." After check up I come out and tell my mother that, that second doctor checked me up or saw me."

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would like you to imagine that I am in the hospital right now and I go into the doctor's room for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a/my check up. There are two doctors in [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] the room. One of them is free and the other one is seeing a patient. The doctor who is free wants to [STRIKE]check[/STRIKE] examine me but I want to see the other doctor. [STRIKE]who is seeing the other patient at the moment. [/STRIKE] What would I say to [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] the doctor who is free? Could I say "I want to see that doctor"?
After the check up, I come out and tell my mother [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] that the second doctor checked me up or saw me.[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE] (There were no opening quotation marks so there was no need for closing quotation marks.)

Please check.

Note my corrections above.

There is no simple way of explaining what happened to your mother. You can't call the doctors "first" and "second", especially if your mother wasn't in the room so she wouldn't know what you meant by that.
You would have to explain it in full by saying something like "When I got into the room, there were two doctors but only one doctor was free to see me. However, I told him/her that I wanted to wait to be examined by the other doctor."

This wouldn't be a likely scenario in the UK. A consulting room usually has only one doctor. Medical appointments are confidential so there shouldn't be another patient in the room when you're being examined.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't imagine going into the examining room and seeing another patient there. I would probably leave. I would probably go to the check-in desk and say that a mistake had been made.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I can't imagine going into the examining room and seeing another patient there. I would probably leave. I would probably go to the check-in desk and say that a mistake had been made.

I am not mentioning about the private hospitals here. I am talking about the Government hospital have you heard about "A.I.I.M.S and Safdarjung hospital New Delhi?". I am talking about these hospitals. A lot of people come here every day. Whereas in private hospitals there is a whole different scenario but A.I.I.M.S and Safdarjung hospital New delhi these two have the most expirenced and senior doctors. When a doctor who is practising in a private hospital finds any case complicated or severly serious they directly send those patients to A.I.I.M.S or Safdarjung hospital. In these hospitals doctors see a lot of patients every day so they don't have the time to see patients one by one. Like a person is sent to a room where there are four or five doctors are sitting. One senior doctor with four juniors. So they will see five different patients at once. Whereas in private hospitals you get to see a whole different scene because they have to fetch the money out of your pocket so they provide you with extra facilities thats it.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Note my corrections above.

There is no simple way of explaining what happened to your mother. You can't call the doctors "first" and "second", especially if your mother wasn't in the room so she wouldn't know what you meant by that.
You would have to explain it in full by saying something like "When I got into the room, there were two doctors but only one doctor was free to see me. However, I told him/her that I wanted to wait to be examined by the other doctor."

This wouldn't be a likely scenario in the UK. A consulting room usually has only one doctor. Medical appointments are confidential so there shouldn't be another patient in the room when you're being examined.

So can I say "I want to see XYZ doctor or I want to be seen by him/her and "The doctor XYZ examined or saw me?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say:

I want to see Dr. Smith.

OR

Dr. Smith examined me before. Could I see Dr. Smith again?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You could say:

I want to see Dr. Smith.

OR

Dr. Smith examined me before. Could I see Dr. Smith again?

Okay, I can say this to the doctors as well. Like a doctor wants to see me but I want to be examined by the doctor who is sitting next to him. Is it correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Could I be seen by the other doctor?