Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In interviews with women prisoners, published in White Torture (2022), Narges Mohammadi, first arrested in 1998, documented how the regime uses a particularly cruel method to control those who challenge its power—incarceration without trial, solitary confinement, extreme sensory deprivation, and sexual abuse. Some doctors collude with the authorities in administering these tortures. She writes, “The doctor, despite the fact that he had sworn an oath to save patients’ lives, began to speak loudly. ‘Ms Mohammadi. Die…’”. Doctors behaved as violent interrogators. They tied women in chains, injected unknown drugs, and manipulated a prisoner's weaknesses, diseases, and treatments to exert their barbaric control. Women become disoriented, destabilised, and learn to trust no one.

Source: The Lancet
Offline: Mahsa Amini—never forget
Richard Horton

I seem to fail to understand the implication of "the doctor began to speak loudly. ‘Ms Mohammadi. Die…’”. What does speaking loudly someone's death mean? It seems to relate to a cultural taboo that speaking death loudly is blaspheming, which is especially disrespectful or psychologically harmful when the patient is still alive. I am not sure. The writer is exactly Ms Mohammadi herself. It appears very puzzling to me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Doctors are supposed to heal people -- not hurt them. Whether he spoke to her loudly or softly, he was deliberately and purposely causing her harm. That's the point -- the whole point.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Bear in mind that the quote is incomplete. Here's the fuller context, which I've taken from this page:

In White Torture, Mohammadi relates how her own medical “treatment” in prison serves as another form of torture.

“’Bring a chain…and tie her hands and feet to the bed legs,’” a doctor barks when Mohammadi cries during rough treatment. “The doctor, despite the fact that he had sworn an oath to save patients’ lives, began to speak loudly. ‘Ms. Mohammadi. Die, but die out of the prison,’” so that the regime won’t face international condemnation.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States