Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When answering the question "what's your strongest sense?" Can I say "A feeling of compassion. I don't know why this feeling is so strong for me?"
Does this answer sound idiomatic? Should it be "a feeling" or "the feeling?" It's said in a conversation with a friend.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
"A feeling" is fine. But the question and answer don't match. Compassion isn't a sense. It's an emotion or a state of mind.

I don't know why this feeling is so strong for me?"
I don't know why I feel it so strongly.

When answering the question "what's your strongest sense?"
Who asked you this question and in what context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When answering the question "What's your strongest sense?", can I say "A feeling of compassion. I don't know why this feeling is so strong for me"?
Does this answer sound idiomatic? Should it be "a feeling" or "the feeling?" It's said in a conversation with a friend.
Note my corrections above. Also, take care with your spacing. You put four spaces between the closing quotation marks and the word "It's" in your final line.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The usual "senses" that we have are sight, hearing, touch, taste and smell.

"Sense" can be used in some contexts for feelings too.

But "What's your strongest sense?" seems an odd way to put it if your friend was asking "What emotion do you feel most strongly?"

Event that would be an unusual question because we can't help our emotions and different emotions may be felt very strongly or very weakly or moderately at different times.

Status
Not open for further replies.