Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In Chinese tradition, if an elderly passed away, his or her descendents are expected to return to see her for the last time before the body was interred.
Could you give me some advice to make the expression natural? Thank you!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, it should be an "elderly person", although I wonder whether this applies only to the elderly. For many AmE speakers, the return to see the person is called a "wake" or "viewing". But that would not match well with "In Chinese tradition".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I haven't heard viewing in the UK, but we do use the word wake.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "viewing" is more common among Protestants. "Wake" is preferred by Catholics. But there is overlap.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
his or her descendents are expected to return to see her for the last time before the body was interred.

I am not a teacher.

If it's something that is expected to take a certain length of time and is not just a fleeting last visit you could talk of holding a vigil.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"their relatives are expected to view the body."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For most people in the UK these days, a wake is a get-together (party!) held after the funeral. I am aware that historically, the body of the deceased was laid out in the house for people to visit and that was called the wake.

ziawj2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you. Then could I wrote:

My grandma passed away and I must rush home to join her wake.

I must rush home to view the body.

I must rush home to keep a vigil.

Are all of them natural to native-speakers?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
None of those work for me.

I would say "My grandma passed away and I have to go to her wake".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No offence, but if she is already dead, what's the rush?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Also, in some cultures, getting there fast is a sign of respect. When my brother died, I remember that an Asian friend was surprised that I didn't jump on a plane to get back immediately, but tried to get a flight back for the funeral.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
No offence, but if she is already dead, what's the rush?

I am not at teacher.

Perhaps 'home' is a long way away, so the rush is to get there before they bury her.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, unless you're from a religion where a funeral has to take place fast, there still wouldn't be any rush. It takes quite a long time to arrange a funeral in the UK, usually because you have to wait for a slot to be available at the crematorium/cemetery. My aunt died on the 1st February 2004 and her funeral was on 16th February. My grandfather died on December 17th and the funeral was on January 7th. There is usually a particularly long wait in the winter because more people, especially the elderly, die in that season. In addition, if the person lived/died and is being buried/cremated in an area of the country which has a lot of old people, there will be more deaths so the wait will be longer.

"To rush home" meant, to me, rush back to the house from the office or similar, rather than "rush back to my country". There are, as Tdol said, some cultures or religions where getting back to view or sit with the body as quickly as possible is of paramount importance.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am surprised it takes so long in the UK. In the US the time from death to funeral is far shorter. With my mother, the wake was 2.5 days and the funeral proceeded directly after that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know if it makes any difference but there are no religious considerations within my family - every funeral I have attended has been a humanist funeral. However, as far as I know, that didn't make any difference to the timescale. There simply aren't enough crematoria to go around! By the time you've booked a slot at the crematorium, organised the celebrant, invited all the guests, organised the food and drink for afterwards, (in the case of my aunt) put the announcement in the local/national newspaper "Deaths" column and made sure all the paperwork is in order, two weeks is about average.

No-one in my family has ever had a wake before the funeral. The body is held at the funeral directors until the funeral and it is possible to make an appointment to go and view the body at the funeral directors'. For my aunt's funeral, the wake was basically a big party back at the house where she had lived and died, attended by almost everyone who went to the funeral. My grandfather's wake was a much smaller affair - the ten people who had attended the funeral all went to the pub down the road, had a couple of drinks, toasted his memory and then we all went home.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
"To rush home" meant, to me, rush back to the house from the office or similar, rather than "rush back to my country".

I am not a teacher.

I agree with this.

My remark was tongue in cheek but not totally devoid of meaning. My father died in France and at the time I was living in England. I did have to rush, not for a wake but to ensure the last wishes were respected. Here in France there is a maximum permitted delay between death and burial, or cremation in his case, of six days.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
@ OP, perhaps you mean the Chinese term "奔丧" which translates as "hasten home for the funeral of one's elder" in my Chinese-English dictionary, but I don't know whether it is natural.

Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.