Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
TRUMP DEFIANT IN MAR-A-LAGO SPEECH
Flanked by American flags, former President Donald Trump delivered a campaign-style speech to cheering supporters at Mar-a-Lago Tuesday night.

Trump was defiant, referring, among other things, to his two impeachment trials during his presidency and an ongoing probe into alleged attempts to interfere in that state’s 2020 presidential election. He called the New York indictment the latest in an “onslaught of fraudulent investigations.”

Source: AP

Does "that state" here mean "the US"?

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
No, it's a reference to a state of the US that was mentioned earlier in the article, probably New York.

Your link doesn't work for me.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, it's a reference to a state of the US that was mentioned earlier in the article, probably New York.

Your link doesn't work for me.

It doesn't mention any state previously, which was why this thread came to be.

The link appears to be odd for being unable linked with the address. More context:

Live updates: Donald Trump arraigned on 34 felony counts​

NEW YORK (AP) — Follow along for live updates on former President Donald Trump, who surrendered Tuesday at a Manhattan courthouse to face arraignment on charges stemming from hush-money payments made during the 2016 campaign to bury allegations that he had extramarital sexual encounters.
___
What to know:
— Arraignment provides new detail on charges facing Trump
— Manhattan prosecutors release indictment
— The three hush money cases in Trump indictment
— Trump’s day in court
— Small but chaotic crowd gathers near Manhattan courthouse
——

TRUMP DEFIANT IN MAR-A-LAGO SPEECH​

Flanked by American flags, former President Donald Trump delivered a campaign-style speech to cheering supporters at Mar-a-Lago Tuesday night.
Trump was defiant, referring, among other things, to his two impeachment trials during his presidency and an ongoing probe into alleged attempts to interfere in that state’s 2020 presidential election. He called the New York indictment the latest in an “onslaught of fraudulent investigations.”
“This fake case was brought only to interfere with the upcoming 2024 election and it should be dropped immediately,” Trump said.
He also lashed out at the prosecutor and the judge presiding over the New York case — despite being warned hours earlier by the judge to refrain from rhetoric that could cause civil unrest.
Trump waved goodbye as he made his way out of the ballroom thronged by people recording the moment with their smartphones.
The crowd included supporters like failed Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake and longtime ally Roger Stone.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It doesn't mention any state previously
It impliedly does. The report is from New York which is in New York state. He surrendered at a Manhattan courthouse and Manhattan is a part of New York City in that state. And while I haven't been following American news closely, I'm guessing it's common knowledge that the probe is regarding something to do with New York.

I agree "that state" isn't good phrasing if New York hadn't been named earlier as "that state".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's too much to expect a news article to be clear.

The only state I know of that is investigating Trump for "interference" is Georgia. Which you would never know from this article.

Florida would be the best guess, since that's where Mar-a-lago is.

Status
Not open for further replies.