Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

I'm reading an article about the current American president Joe Biden in Wikipedia and have come across the following sentence:

"Biden entered office nine months into a recovery from the COVID-19 recession and his first year in office was characterized by robust growth in real GDP, employment, wages and stock market returns, amid significantly elevated inflation."

I can't fully understand the construction in bold. Does it mean that Biden assumed the office when the COVID epidemics had been raging for nine months?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. The recovery from the COVID recession began nine months before Biden entered office.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Now I know the correct answer to my question due to 5jj's reply, but I still don't understand how to use the construction with "... into ...." as in the original sentence.

Could you please provide some more examples?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Take a look at entry #5 in the link below:

You'll also come across "well into" (e.g. "well into the night", "well into her forties", etc) in such contexts.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Take a look at entry #5 in the link below:

You'll also come across "well into" (e.g. "well into the night", "well into her forties", etc) in such contexts.

Thanks for the link!

Can I paraphrase the original sentence as "Biden entered office nine months after a recovery from the COVID-19 recession ... "?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. "A recovery" isn't correct.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thanks for the link!
You're welcome.
Can I paraphrase the original sentence as "Biden entered office nine months after the recovery from the COVID-19 recession had started ...
See above.
I agree with emsr2d2 that in the above sentence, "the" (not "a") is needed, because we are talking about a particular recovery.
However, "a recovery" is possible in other sentences. You'll see plenty of examples in the link below.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You're welcome.

See above.
I agree with emsr2d2 that in the above sentence, "the" (not "a") is needed, because we are talking about a particular recovery.
However, "a recovery" is possible in other sentences. You'll see plenty of examples in the link below.

A very good and helpful link indeed! Thanks a lot for providing it to me and other thread visitors! I didn't know that such a convenient service existed!