Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) He is blind in one eye.

2) He is blind of one eye.

Between 'blind of' and 'blind in', which is more idiomatic?

Where did you see blind of?

Where did you see blind of?

In a grammar book named 'A text-book of higher English grammar, composition & translation' by P.K. DE SARKAR.

A quick Google search tells me that that book was published in 1926. You might want to update your reference library. A lot has changed in 96 years.

A quick Google search tells me that that book was published in 1926. You might want to update your reference library. A lot has changed in 96 years.

Thank you for your suggestion. You mean that the usage of the preposition 'of' after the word 'blind' is historical rather than current. Am I right?

Thank you for your suggestion. You mean that the usage of the preposition 'of' after the word 'blind' is historical rather than current. Am I right?
It's certainly not right today. I don't recall having seen that turn of phrase in old books, either. I suspect your book is simply incorrect both now and in the era in which it was written.

You will also see/hear 'He has lost the sight of one eye' and 'He has lost his sight in one eye'.

Last edited:
I'm not even familiar with it as archaic usage but if it's in a reputable book, then I can accept that it was used. I note, though, that the book was written by a Bangladeshi person teaching English to Bangladeshi people so perhaps it was used in that variant.

Edit: I hadn't seen GoesStation's post when I wrote this.

To lose sight of something is common though.

In a grammar book named 'A text-book of higher English grammar, composition & translation' by P.K. DE SARKAR.

It may have been fine then, but we don't use it today, and haven't in the decades I have been alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back