Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

How common is the idiom "blow smoke"? Could it mean to lie or fib or make something up to show off? Have I used it correctly and naturally in these sentences?

1. I'm blowing no smoke man. I used to make out with Julia in the parking lot.
2. I'm blowing no smoke. I used to live next to Marlon Brando.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello.

How common is the idiom "blow smoke"?

It's pretty common.

Could it mean to lie or fib or make something up to show off?

Yes, sort of. It also implies that you're improvising elaborately, making it up on the fly, winging it.

Have I used it correctly and naturally in these sentences?

1. I'm not blowing smoke, man. I used to make out with Julia in the parking lot.
2. I'm not blowing smoke. I used to live next door to Marlon Brando.
I've never heard "blowing no smoke," but it would be understood.

I think you could say "blow trumpet" in the context but the meaning is not the same.

I couldn't remember hearing that one at first. Now I recall it being used in the phrase "blow smoke up your ***".

I couldn't remember hearing that one at first. Now I recall it being used in the phrase "blow smoke up your *ss".

That's the one I'm familiar with, although it's not used in BrE. I've only heard it in AmE. I found this article, which shows the definition and some extra information.

I've never heard "blowing no smoke," but it would be understood.

Are these natural and is it possible they would happen in an everyday conversation?

1.-Back in the day, I used to work with Julia. She asked me out but I turned her down! -Come on! You are blowing smoke! There is no way she would have asked you out. -I'm not blowing smoke. She did ask me out.

2. A guy offered to buy my house for 2 million but I told him to buzz off. -No way! You are blowing smoke.

3. Jackie says she is close friends with the boss's daughter but I think she is just blowing smoke.

4. I'm not blowing smoke. I really enjoy working with you. Seriously.

5. He always blows smoke when he tells stories about his years in the army.

6. Did you really kiss her last night or are you just blowing smoke?

Are these natural and is it possible they would happen in an everyday conversation?

1.-Back in the day, I used to work with Julia. She asked me out, but I turned her down!

-Come on! You're blowing smoke! There is no way she would have asked you out.

-I'm not blowing smoke. She did ask me out.

2. A guy offered to buy my house for two million, but I told him to buzz off.

-No way! You are blowing smoke.

3. Jackie says she is close friends with the boss's daughter, but I think she is just blowing smoke.

4. I'm not blowing smoke. I really enjoy working with you. Seriously.

5. He always blows smoke when he tells stories about his years in the army.

6. Did you really kiss her last night or are you just blowing smoke?
They're all okay.

It usually refers to extended speeches, not to single simple statements. So in examples 1 and 2, more common responses include:

- You're kidding!
- You're sh*tting me!
- You're pulling my leg!
- Come on!
- Bullsh*t!
- You're bullsh*tting!
- No way!

It is an expression that has fallen out of use. I havent heard it in many years although it was used by people of my parents' generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back