"bury the lead" (as in not fully report a news story) or "bury the lede"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterF

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
Which would be considered correct for British English?

"bury the lead" (as in not fully report a news story) or "bury the lede"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Only the first. I have never seen the word "lede" before. I looked it up and discovered that it is specifically AmE. Your member profile shows that you are a UK-born native English speaker. Didn't you have an inkling which one was correct in your own native language?

PeterF

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
Yes, I did. I'd not come across "lede" before either, but Collins online dictionary doesn't say we shouldn't use "lede" if we're British (in fact Collins says "lede" is just a variant spelling of "lead", but only in the sense of "bury the lede") and because it's an American phrase I wondered if it would be okay to substitute the phrase "bury the lede" directly into British English writing as is (like vol-au-vent or something). Obviously, no-one in the UK would use the spelling "lede" outside this context (that I know of -- could be an obscure dialectical spelling in some far-flung isolated community in the UK, I suppose -- I don't know what the etymology of "lede" is). Interestingly both the Microsoft Word English UK spell checker and the English United States spell checker flag "lede" as a mis-spelling. I guess most folks in the US haven't come across or use "lede" either, although this may just indicate a limitation of the English US spell checker's vocabulary. 🤔

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The etymology of "lede" is very easy to discover: https://www.etymonline.com/word/lede

Even if it is used in some dialect of a far-flung region of the UK, that wouldn't put it in the same box as "vol-au-vents". The latter is a word that's commonly used for a popular foodstuff, and it's simply borrowed from French. "Lede" is so obscure that, even if a few people in the UK use it, it would still be classed as dialectal.

We'll need an AmE speaker to comment on whether it's common to them.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've certainly never heard of it. According to this site, it's journalism jargon. Anyone not a journalist is likely to be unfamiliar with it. Note the mention of 'bury the lede' a few paragraphs into the article.

I don't think it's AmE as much as it is just technical jargon.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am familiar with it, but only as a set phrase.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Vole

I assume "vol-au-vents" is a small rodent with some holes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.