[Grammar] Can I put an indefinite article before a possessive noun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManabuS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Ah, thank you, tzfujimino! I didn't notice your post #15 when I posted my last one. Your dialogue really helped me!
And thank you for your answers.

I understand "an a friend's house (a one friend's house)" is impossible. But I was wondering if you could tell me why it is?
If "a + friend's" put together is an adjective I think "a + [adjective] + noun" is indeed okay. Maybe just because of cacophony?

Thank you.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Ah, thank you, tzfujimino! I didn't notice your post #15 when I posted my last one. Your dialogue really helped me!
And thank you for your answers.

I understand "an a friend's house (a one friend's house)" is impossible. But I was wondering if you could tell me why it is?

I'm afraid I don't know why. That's how it's used, and we have to accept it.

If "a + friend's" put together is an adjective I think "a + [adjective] + noun" is indeed okay. Maybe just because of cacophony?

I think the issue here is whether the "a" in "a friend's house" modifies "friend" or "house". Isn't it what you are asking?

Thank you.

Tz

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think the issue here is whether the "a" in "a friend's house" modifies "friend" or "house". Isn't it what you are asking?
I think 'friend's' functions as an adjective modifying 'house' while 'a' refers to 'house' instead of being part of the adjective.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'I visited two friends' house' suggests the two friends are the co-owners of the house.

Is that correct?

Yes, it is. (While that might work in print, if I was going to say it I would say: "I visited a house belonging to two friends.")

ManabuS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Who said this? I could not find this in this thread except in your posts.
I think 'friend's' functions as an adjective modifying 'house' while 'a' refers to 'house' instead of being part of the adjective.
As GoesStation explained, isn't it "the house of a friend"?
[...] a friend's house = the house of a friend. [...]

Yes, basically so, as I questioned before. I'd like to know whether 'a' refers to 'friend's' or 'house.'
And I guess that it can't refer to 'friend's' because if it refers to it the phrase would be terribly ungrammatical -- the two articles in a row -- if the noun 'house' needs an indefinite article, too.
This is just my reasoning. I'd like teachers to confirm or to correct, if that is wrong.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Nouns do not 'function as' adjectives
I trust the following more than the above.

Possessive nouns function as adjectives.
possessive nouns are functioning as adjectives.
a noun acting like an adjective to describe the other noun

'We can use a noun as an adjective when it precedes a noun that it modifies.'── quoted from http://usingenglish.com/glossary/noun-as-adjective.html Term: Noun as Adjective

Last edited:

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher.
------------------

Being a modifier is possibly the only thing they may have in common, but that does not make them absolutelly equal. Here, I totally agree with Piscean.

There are many ways to modify a noun. Adjectives is but one of them.

ManabuS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Ah, thank you very much for your thorough explanations, Piscean! They're really insightful and helped me understand these difficult topics (although apparently they might be simple.)

Now I fully understand how it works: "a friend's" is a possessive and it can be recast into "the house of a friend"; "children's" is a modifier, so "children" don't possess that song. The modifier is functioning like an adjective. If so, I think I also understand GoesStation's post #7.

Please allow me to ask just one more question to clarify.
Altogether I understand the comments like this:
Now that I know "a friend's" is a possessive, I can't say "I visited an a friend's house," even if I should tell people that I visited one house that belongs to a friend, like one can't put an indefinite article before a possessive like "Luke's house."
On the other hand, one can put a/an before something like "children's" so that it refers to the noun right after 's because in this case X's is a modifier, not a possessive nor an adjective.
Is this understanding correct?

Thank you very much again.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Being a modifier is possibly the only thing they may have in common, but that does not make them absolutelly equal.
No one said they were 'absolutely equal'. The wording is 'function as', 'acting like' and 'use ... as', which make sense to me.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. Nobody said they were absolutely equal. What was said is that something was functioning as an adjective. And it was.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
OK, stand corrected on this one -- indeed, nobody said exactly that.

But the following makes the impression, at least to me, that the author of the quoted text has tried to draw such a broad comparison:

As GoesStation explained below, possessive nouns are functioning as adjectives, but I don't think the article 'a' is part of them, as 'a' is not part of the adjective in 'a large house'.

Last edited:

ManabuS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
OK, stand corrected on this one -- indeed, nobody said exactly that.

But the following makes the impression, at least to me, that the author of the quoted text has tried to draw such a broad comparison:

I agree. It makes the impression also on me. It was important for me to understand that they're not absolutely equal. And it helped me. But there hadn't been any clarification like that before Weaver67's post. I almost understood that X's was an adjective and 'a' wasn't able to refer to X's like it can't in 'a large house.'

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word adjective refers to a part of speech. The part of speech method refers to the role of a word or words in a sentence. Some words are classified as adjectives. But there are other words, phrases, and clauses that function as adjectives in a sentence.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
the author of the quoted text has tried to draw such a broad comparison:
The comparison is about their functions. Having the same function does not denote being absolutely equal.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And they all function as adjectives.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People can call it whatever they call it, but there is no doubt that it functions as an adjective.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is no transformation needed. It is based on function. And the function is clear to most of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.