[Grammar] Can the word now be used with future tenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone.

It occurred to me that 'now' as a word can be used with past and present tenses. I wonder whether it may also be used with future tenses.

Many thanks

Richard

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Can you give us an example of what you have in mind?

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sadly, I have nothing in mind.
I can think of cases in which now can be used with past tenses and present tenses, as in She was put on a diet and aquired a habit of jogging two hours on a daily basis. Three years passed and NOW she was smiling at the figure shown on a scale.
I would think it's not possible to have such a combination, though I may well be wrong, as proved in many a case.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sadly, I have nothing in mind.
I can think of cases in which now can be used with past tenses and present tenses, as in She was put on a diet and aquired a habit of jogging two hours on a daily basis. Three years passed and NOW she was smiling at the figure shown on a scale.
I would think it's not possible to have such a combination, though I may well be wrong, as proved in many a case.

How about "Now we will move on to another topic"?
Now we are going to go shopping.
Now we will see how they react.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you, Mike.

You answers have solved my question and consequently have raised another question which I only vaguely had in mind before you replied. Can now be used to indicate a time in the future while being used with future tenses?

Now she was smiling at the figure. - Here 'now' is a time in the past.
Now I am reading a book. - Here 'now' is a time when things are happening, well, right now.
Now we will see how they react. - It seems here 'now' is not a point or piece of time in the future.

Many thanks

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Sort of- you could say Now I'll leave in two weeks, but this implies that your timetable has changed and now refers to that. I'm struggling to think of a pure version with now.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, Mike.

You answers have solved my question and consequently have raised another question which I only vaguely had in mind before you replied. Can now be used to indicate a time in the future while being used with future tenses?

Now she was smiling at the figure. - Here 'now' is a time in the past.
Now I am reading a book. - Here 'now' is a time when things are happening, well, right now.
Now we will see how they react. - It seems here 'now' is not a point or piece of time in the future.

Many thanks

I would be difficult to have "now" refer to a time in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.