Christmas is all of those things that we love to remember. Laughter that rings through the house and its halls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi, I've read a Christmas poem on the internet. Are the following lines correct or are there poetic licenses? Thanks

It ( Christmas) 's all of those things that we love to remember ( It's all of those things?)

Laughter that rings through the house and its halls ( halls? Can a house have more than one hall? what about the verb ring in this context?)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's all perfectly fine. No poetic license. And "poetic license" is singular.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. I've read a Christmas poem on the internet. Are the following lines correct or are there has some poetic licenses licence been taken? Thanks.

It's (Christmas is) 's all of those things that we love to remember (Is "It's all of those things" correct?)

Laughter that rings through the house and its halls. ("Halls"? Can a house have more than one hall? What about the verb "ring" in this context?)
Please note my corrections above. I'm slightly confused about what constitutes the original poem. Is this what the original says?

It's all of those things that we love to remember
Laughter that rings through the house and its halls.

Also, you need to tell us the title of the poem and the name of the poet.

It's grammatical and natural English. We often use "ring" with "laughter" to indicate the light, bright sound of laughter. Yes, a house can have more than one hall. Sometimes the word is used instead of "room".

Status
Not open for further replies.