Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. He comes into contact with the patient.
2. He is in contact with the patient.

What is the difference between the above sentences?

It's hard for me to think of a scenario for either of them.
:-|

Number one describes a transition. Number two describes a state.

In what context did you see/hear these?
I saw these phrases in news about recent health issues and try to form sentences with the phrases.

A: What is the doctor doing?
B: He is seeing patients.
A: Do you think he'll be able to see me today?
B: You'll have to wait. He's very busy.

I would have to google them to find context for the phrases in the OP. Or you could provide that context yourself.

A: Anyone who comes into contact with the patient is required to self-isolate.
B: John is in contact with the patient.

A is a general statement. B is a statement of fact. (John is seeing the patient at that moment.)

Without any other context, I'd only understand the 2nd one to mean "communicating with" rather than 'in close proximity to'.

Skrej, I am sure you're right, but it would be hard for me to understand what "communicating with" means there without additional context.

Skrej, I am sure you're right, but it would be hard for me to understand what "communicating with" means there without additional context.

Wouldn't you think it meant "communicating with" in something like "Are you still in contact with any of your old school friends?"

Does 'come into' mean begin?

Wouldn't you think it meant "communicating with" in something like "Are you still in contact with any of your old school friends?"

We're talking about a doctor-patient relationship. I've seen doctors in person. That's the kind of contact I'm used to. (If I get a phone call it's from someone other than the doctor.)

We're talking about a doctor-patient relationship. I've seen doctors in person. That's the kind of contact I'm used to. (If I get a phone call it's from someone other than the doctor.)

Yes, I realise that a different situation is being used in the original post, but I thought you meant that "in contact with" didn't mean "communicating with" to you in any context. Most of us are used to seeing our doctor in person but, in the UK at least, doctors frequently phone their patients. Sometimes that's because the patient can't leave the house (too ill, a disability etc) and sometimes it's in order to relieve pressure on face-to-face appointments. During the Covid crisis, aren't doctors where you are offering phone consultations only?

Are the phrases 'come into contact with/ be in contact with' interchangeable in the quotes? I don't quite understand the meaning of "come into".

Are the phrases 'come into contact with/ be in contact with' interchangeable in the quotes? I don't quite understand the meaning of "come into".
They are not interchangeable. See post #4.

The verb come and the preposition into both relate to transition. That means there is some kind of change.

The verb be and the preposition in both relate to states. A state is something that is not changing.

So very basically, come into contact means that the person changes from not being in contact to being in contact. That's the transition.

Yes, I realise that a different situation is being used in the original post, but I thought you meant that "in contact with" didn't mean "communicating with" to you in any context. Most of us are used to seeing our doctor in person but, in the UK at least, doctors frequently phone their patients. Sometimes that's because the patient can't leave the house (too ill, a disability etc) and sometimes it's in order to relieve pressure on face-to-face appointments. During the Covid crisis, aren't doctors where you are offering phone consultations only?

Yes, they are! (It hasn't happened yet though.)

I have such an appointment for June 9th. (What's the point?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back