Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
:up:please let me if these sentences are correct.

1. I call you most often.

2. He calls me more often than me.

(I am not sure if these sentences are correct due to the usage of comparitive and superlative)

Also, what does "often" mean in these sentences.

Thank you for your help in advance!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. I call you most often. This sentence would be stated when speaking about calls to three or more persons or it could be followed by a phrase such as, "..... when you are not feeling well". However, you could say simply, "I call you often".

2. He calls me more often than me. If I understand what you intend to say, "He calls me more often than I call him".

Often = Frequently

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. I call you most often. This sentence would be stated when speaking about calls to three or more persons or it could be followed by a phrase such as, "..... when you are not feeling well". However, you could say simply, "I call you often".

2. He calls me more often than me. If I understand what you intend to say, "He calls me more often than I call him".

Often = Frequently

Thank you Bill for your advise!

I am sorry for not making it clear.

Could you please tell me what "Often" grammtically mean here. (Ex: adverb, adjective or...) (I guess it is an adverb)

If you could provide further explanation to the first example, that would be great!

Thank you again for your assistance!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you Bill for your advise!

I am sorry for not making it clear.

Could you please tell me what "Often" grammtically mean here. (Ex: adverb, adjective or...) (I guess it is an adverb)

If you could provide further explanation to the first example, that would be great!

Thank you again for your assistance!

"Often" is an adverb of frequency along with others such as "always", "sometimes", "never" etc. Again, here are some other uses/examples of "most often". "I call my brother and sister occasionally, but I call you most often". That is, compared to the number of calls to my brother and sister, I call you more frequently. OR "I call you most often when you are not feeling well." Meaning, of the number of times I call you, I call you more often when you are ill than on holidays .

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Often" is an adverb of frequency along with others such as "always", "sometimes", "never" etc. Again, here are some other uses/examples of "most often". "I call my brother and sister occasionally, but I call you most often". That is, compared to the number of calls to my brother and sister, I call you more frequently. OR "I call you most often when you are not feeling well." Meaning, of the number of times I call you, I call you more often when you are ill than on holidays .

Thank you very much Bill for your kind assistance.:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.