Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentence sounds natural. Do I need the word "so" in my sentence? Would you please correct my mistakes?

David complained that his former wife has set their children against him so that they refused to visit him.

I am wondering if my sentence sounds natural. Do I need the word "so" in my sentence? Would you please correct my mistakes?

David complained that his former wife HAD set their children against him so that they refused to visit him.

If you didn't have "so" there you would have to replace it with something like "which was the reason".

Also, it's:

David complains...has

Or:

David complained...had

Use the present simple refuse.

If you are talking about a specific incident, "refused" is the right choice. If it's an ongoing situation, "refuse" is the right choice.

If you are talking about a specific incident, "refused" is the right choice. If it's an ongoing situation, "refuse" is the right choice.

I don't think refused works when the first clause is in the present perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back