Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"Death is the final unknown." This word occurs after gameover in a PC game. Is it a famous word? Does it have a figurative meaning?

Thank you.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's quite literal but it could have a figurative meaning but I don't know of one off the top of my head.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We don't know whether it is the end or not, so it is the last thing in life that we don't know about and can only learn by dying.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
We don't know whether it is the end or not, so it is the last thing in life that we don't know about and can only learn by dying.
And that we will learn by dying is a common, though also uncertain, proposition.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Death is the final unknown." This word occurs after gameover in a PC game. Is it a famous word? Does it have a figurative meaning?

Thank you.

I have a feeling, that since you saw this sentence after playing a PC game, that your game manufacturer has a sequel, titled "Death is the Final Unknown".

Your sentence is probably advertising the next game in the series.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There is no other way, sadly.
True, as far as we know. My only point is that it's an error to consider that dying is necessarily a way at all. Sometimes it goes unquestioned that we'll find out what happens after death after we die.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Indeed- if those that believe in an afterlife are wrong, they won't find out when they die. I have always liked the idea of a five-second afterlife with a big sign telling them that they were wrong before the lights go off.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Indeed- if those that believe in an afterlife are wrong, they won't find out when they die. I have always liked the idea of a five-second afterlife with a big sign telling them that they were wrong before the lights go off.

Does "before the lights go off" mean before die? But I cannot find any such idiom.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's the added problem that, if the people who believe in an afterlife turn out to be right, then there's every chance that death won't turn out to be the "final unknown". In the afterlife, there could lots of unknowns!

Basically, absolutely everything about what happens from the second you die is unknown (except what happens to the corpse - it's burnt or it rots or, in some cultures, it's left out for wild animals).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Established" means commonly accepted/in common use. When an idiom or a new word is first coined, not many people use it. It takes a while to spread. Once it's spread to a certain level of use (I have no idea what that level is) then it's considered established.

(Edit: I couldn't get your link to open so I didn't realise you were asking about "the first definition in the link". I thought you were suggesting that "established" meant "the first time an idiom is used. I've managed to open the link now so feel free to just take notice of Piscean's response below! )

Last edited:

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
There's the added problem that, if the people who believe in an afterlife turn out to be right, then there's every chance that death won't turn out to be the "final unknown". In the afterlife, there could lots of unknowns!.

Would you please explain the phrase "there is every chance that ..."

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means "It is very likely that ..."

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It means "It is very likely that ..."

Even though there are lots of examples and websites concerning and covering the phrase in question, there is no any that explain what it is.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even though there are lots of examples and websites concerning and covering the phrase in question, there [STRIKE]is no any[/STRIKE] are none that explain what it is.

See above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't even find that sentence in the link but it doesn't matter - yes, that sentence is completely ungrammatical. It was clearly written by a non-native speaker (as were most of the responses I did read on that page).

It's an incomplete sentence so I don't know what the writer was really trying to convey but I assume they meant something like "They can use many nice words but there are none that can describe ..."

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I can't even find that sentence in the link but it doesn't matter - yes, that sentence is completely ungrammatical. It was clearly written by a non-native speaker (as were most of the responses I did read on that page).

It's an incomplete sentence so I don't know what the writer was really trying to convey but I assume they meant something like "They can use many nice words but there are none that can describe ..."

This shows some non-natives tend to use any instead of none, which is the correct one.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.