Diary entry - Today, I was woken up by the smell of burning incense and joss paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does that mean the dictionary is wrong in giving that definition?
'A Chinese' has been used, and the dictionary correctly records this. Most native speakers these days do not use it, and that's what we tell you here.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
'A Chinese' has been used, and the dictionary correctly records this. Most native speakers these days do not use it, and that's what we tell you here.
It is commonly used where I am from. Tdol in his post in the thread you give, acknowledged that too, as someone who have had long experience living in Asia.
People would frown at me if I were to say "I am a Chinese person".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is commonly used where I am from.
Unless otherwise stated, most people come to this forum wanting to know about the English used and accepted in such places as Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand the UK, and the USA. Forms accepted in Malaysia but not in the countries I have mentioned are not normally what they are looking for.
Tdol in his post in the thread you give, acknowledged that too, as someone who have had long experience living in Asia.
We do not normally deal here with The English spoken in Asia. Tdol also said that it sounded strange to him when he first went to Asia.
People would frown at me if I were to say "I am a Chinese person".
I doubt if they'd frown, but they might not find it natural. That's because it's far more natural to say "I'm Chinese".

Status
Not open for further replies.