Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just read an article about the damage that the concrete pathways could bring to us on Hong Kong hiking trails. Hong Kong is a compact city so we can see a blend of mountains and skyscrapers in many places. Therefore, I've already gotten used to see concrete paths connected from urban area to rural area. Also, I'm not a fan of hiking, so I've never thought about the problems arising from them. However, after reading the article, I realised that, actually, it's weird to put concrete on the mountains because they aren't natural anymore and we loses the meaning of going hiking.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just read an article about the damage that the concrete pathways could cause to bring to us on Hong Kong hiking trails. (Is the damage caused to the hiking trails or the users?) Hong Kong is a compact city, so but we can see a blend of mountains and skyscrapers in many places. Therefore, I've already gotten used to seeing concrete paths connected connecting from urban areas to and rural areas. Also, I'm not a fan of hiking, so I've never thought about the problems arising from about them. However, after reading the article, I realised that, actually, it's weird to put use concrete paving on the mountains because they aren't natural anymore and we loses the meaning defeats the purpose of going hiking.
How does the concrete pathways cause damage to the hiking trails? I don't see the problem in using concrete paving for pedestrian walkways on steep terrain or mountains. Pathways need to be paved. It's not that there are a lot of alternative materials besides concrete to be used as a paving material. You need a material that is durable and practical for construction. The purpose of constructing paving is to provide users with a surface which is comfortable and safe to walk on. Concrete pavement can be tastefully done without looking unnatural.

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
How does the concrete pathways cause damage to the hiking trails? I don't see the problem in using concrete paving for pedestrian walkways on steep terrain or mountains. Pathways need to be paved. It's not that there are a lot of alternative materials besides concrete to be used as a paving material. You need a material that is durable and practical for construction. The purpose of constructing paving is to provide users with a surface which is comfortable and safe to walk on. Concrete pavement can be tastefully done without looking unnatural.
It could cause habitant destruction, soil erosion and disruption of ecosystems.
Source: Concrete jungle: The campaign to prevent Hong Kong’s nature trails from being paved over by EARTH.ORG, HKFP

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
How does the concrete pathways cause damage to the hiking trails?
I meant "the damage that the concrete pathways on Hong Kong hiking trails could cause".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I just read an article about the damage that the concrete pathways could bring to us on cause to hiking trails in Hong Kong. hiking trails. Hong Kong is a compact city, so we can see a blend of mountains and skyscrapers near each other in many places. Therefore, I've already gotten I'm used to seeing concrete paths connected from urban area to rural that connect green spaces with built-up areas. Also, I'm not a fan of hiking, so I've never thought about the such potential problems before. arising from them. However, after reading the article, I realised that, actually, it's weird to put concrete on the mountains because they aren't natural anymore and we loses lose the meaning of going hiking.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just read an article about the damage that the concrete pathways could bring to us on Hong Kong hiking trails.
I wouldn't use the second "the" there. As for concrete pathways, it makes more sense in the city (where you are likely to see them) than, for example, in the mountains, where you normally would not see them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hong Kong is a compact city so we can see a blend of mountains and skyscrapers in many places.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean that there are skyscrapers right next to the mountains? (That seems unlikely.)

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
There is a little hill near my apartment so I can go hiking every day, but I don’t want to. :ROFLMAO:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Therefore, I've already gotten used to SEEING concrete paths CONNECTING urban areaS to rural areaS.
Oh goodness! A lot of ESL learners seem to think "already" is a word they can use any time at all. Also, when you mention "concrete paths connecting urban areas to rural areas" you seem to be talking about roads.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a little hill near my apartment so I can go hiking every day, but I don’t want to. :ROFLMAO:
I would say, "I could go hiking there every day if I wanted to. That's clear enough, but for emphasis I might add, "which I don't."

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I wouldn't use the second "the" there. As for concrete pathways, it makes more sense in the city (where you are likely to see them) than, for example, in the mountains, where you normally would not see them.
IMG_1271.jpeg
Source

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Oh goodness! A lot of ESL learners seem to think "already" is a word they can use any time at all. Also, when you mention "concrete paths connecting urban areas to rural areas" you seem to be talking about roads.
It is because the roads also sometimes connect to the trails.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, I'm not a fan of hiking, so I've never thought about the problems arising from them.
Well, there's hiking, and there's going from one place to another for a purpose. When somebody goes hiking there is a purpose, but it's the activity itself that's the purpose.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a bridge.🤣 This is another part of the trail.

View attachment 5819
Source
I wouldn't expect a mountain trail to look like that. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to pave the trail, and I'm not sure why. Walking up and down hills is strenuous in any case, but it doesn't look natural.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However, after reading the article, I realised that, actually, it's weird to PAVE THE TRAIL because IT DOESN'T LOOK natural anymore and we loses the meaning of going hiking.
Two things. One, last year I resolved not to use the word "actually" at all. (I only slipped once.) Two, it doesn't look natural, because it's not.

As for the meaning of going hiking, I didn't know it had any meaning other than being a form of recreation.

You finished that with something about as ungrammatical as it could possibly be. 😊