Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Two things. One, last year I resolved not to use the word "actually" at all. (I only slipped once.)
Why?

As for the meaning of going hiking, I didn't know it had any meaning other than being a form of recreation.
What I think is that going hiking is to walk on the earth and see more natural things not the paved trails. Walking on paved trails feels like walking on a street.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why? Because "actually" is one of the most overused words in the English language. In fact, sometimes when it's used it means nothing at all or less than nothing.

I think of hiking as walking but more strenuous than normal walking -- like going up and down one of those mountain trails. Paving the trail maybe makes the hike a little less strenuous, but it also defeats the purpose of it. It urbanized it. The whole purpose of hiking is to be out in nature. Paving the trail makes it less natural.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I agree that words like "actually" and "already" are often unnecessarily used, like other filler words, which don't add anything to a sentence.

English aside, I would like to comment on the alleged damage of the construction of paved pedestrian walkways on the environment in the article. I think the impact on the environment is exaggerated. The construction of walkways involves minimal clearing of vegetation, if at all, unlike the construction of buildings and roads, as the areas involved are relatively small. If the scope of work only requires the clearing of path, the authorities would not go to the extent of incurring costs unnecessary in carrying out construction in the form of steps, landings, pavements, railings, shelters, etc. It's all done with the comfort and safety of users in mind, especially paths which are used by a large number of people. Pedestrian trails going up steep terrain can be hazardous without steps and railings. Paths which are not properly cleared bears the risks of encounters with snakes, leeches, creepy crawlies and other wild animals, especially in tropical countries. Proper drainage is required to prevent soil erosion after paths are cleared. Certain hilly terrain would require hikers to climb on all fours if steps and railings are not constructed.

You can say that any form of paving makes hiking trails less natural. The trails could be well be left in its natural state overgrown with bush, vegetation, trees, etc., which is easy enough for the authorities concerned, but is that really what public users/hikers want to go through?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Paved trails make getting out into nature much more accessible for people with mobility problems or in wheelchairs.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't expect people who have mobility problems or the disabled to be inclined to access hilly trails when there are other disabled-friendly places like parks they can go to.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nature is often not very accommodating.
😊