Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I like my Japanese lessons in which we usually have a small talk at the beginning of the class. She would ask me about my daily life and translate my words into Japanese so that I can learn the words that I would use frequently rather than learning it from a vocabulary list. I think in this way, I can memorise word more deeply. Now, I can describe numbers and form short sentences. I'm very happy that its number system is almost the same as Chinese's so it's easy to remember.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can't just say "she" at the start of sentence 2 without making it clear first who that is.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Revised:
I like my Japanese lessons in which we usually have a small talk at the beginning of the class. My teacher would ask me about my daily life and translate my words into Japanese so that I can learn the words that I would use frequently rather than learning it from a vocabulary list. I think in this way, I can memorise word more deeply. Now, I can describe numbers and form short sentences. I'm very happy that its number system is almost the same as Chinese's so it's easy to remember.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My teacher asks me about my daily life and translates my words into Japanese so I can learn the words I will use frequently rather than learning them from a vocabulary list.

Note that we use the simple present to talk about regular activities. (See below.)

Every morning I wake up and get out bed. I get dressed. I wash my hands in the bathroom sink. I eat breakfast. I go to the bus stop. I get on the bus and go to work.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just used the same words you used in the original. Of course, you can have more than one vocabulary list.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I like my Japanese lessons, in which we usually have a small talk short conversation at the beginning of the class.
A "talk" is commonly taken to mean a presentation. Clearly, you don't watch someone give a presentation at the start of your classes so I'd call it a conversation. They're not small or large; they're short or long.
My teacher would asks me about my daily life and translates my words into Japanese so that I can learn the frequently used words that I would use frequently in complete sentences rather than learning it them from a vocabulary list.

I think in this way, I can memorise words more deeply this way.
I don't really like the use of "more deeply" with "memorise" but I can't think of a better phrase at the moment.
Now no comma here I can describe numbers count and form short sentences.
We don't "describe numbers" in English so I assume you mean you can count in Japanese. If that's not the case, you're going to have to be clearer.
I'm very happy that its the Japanese number system is almost the same as Chinese's so it's easy to remember.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was getting to the describe numbers thing, okay?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Have a small talk" sounds okay to me, so this may be a difference between BrE and AmE. By the way, if we replace "small" with "little" it's almost an idiom on this side of the pond. When your boss or your mother says "Let's have a little talk" you can be pretty sure the conversation is going to be unpleasant for you.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
We don't "describe numbers" in English so I assume you mean you can count in Japanese. If that's not the case, you're going to have to be clearer.
Yes, I can count in Japanese and also talk about price in Japanese.
I don't really like the use of "more deeply" with "memorise" but I can't think of a better phrase at the moment.
How about "I can memorise words better"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I was going to suggest "learn them better".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I can count in Japanese and also talk about price in Japanese.
Once you've learned to count (in any language), it goes without saying that you can talk about prices (or anything else that uses cardinal numbers). The same can't be said for ordinal numbers (in English, at least). Converting "one" to "first", "two" to "second" and "three" to "third" takes extra learning.